Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny coming for trial day - any tips please?

(5 Posts)
BoffinMum Wed 03-Jun-09 20:07:20

The Boffin nanny story continues ... we've now interviewed a lovely nanny grin, and she's coming over for a trial 24 hour stay with us (paid). Does anyone have any tips about what might be appropriate to ask her to do, and how to approach the whole thing generally? We've got three kids - DS1 (11) DS2 (8) and DS3 (8 weeks). The elder two are at school 9-3.30.

leonifay Thu 04-Jun-09 09:23:35

just treat it like a normal nannying day. leave her too it as much as you can with the 2 older ones, as long as they're happy and try and let her have sole charge for a few hours with the baby to see what shes like. if you find your self not trusting her, then you know its not going ot work.

go through every thing you would expect her to do, be open, honest and upfront. if there is washing, ironing, washing up or other house hold chores explain how and when you would like them done. expect to show her how to do things, depending on her age, or how you would like things done, but dont patronise her.

give her honest feed back and let her do the same, and if one or both of you isnt happy, and you dont feel you can compromise walk away.

i hope this helps. good luck

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Jun-09 15:37:16

yah - youd found her!!! smile

24hrs - does that mean you found a live in anny and she will be trying out her accomodation?

i would leave her to it with the older ones and then tell her the routine that ds3 is in - or write a rough guide of feeding/sleeping

show her the fusebox, torch/candles, have a book for numbers, and things under as letter ie v for vet, s for school and show her where any clubs/after school activites are

BoffinMum Fri 05-Jun-09 17:31:00

<whispers>

Ta for advice, which I followed. She is here right now and it's brilliant! It's like having Mary Poppins in modern form. Kids love her, I love her, we're having the nicest day. I even went into work for a couple of hours, and I have been doing some paperwork in the study for a bit (I was very behind). She is staying overnight as well, to see bedtime routines and so on. She has even cooked a spontaneous lovely supper with random contents of the organic veg box and so on. I don't have to tell her anything much really, it all just seems to happen.

I can see why people have nannies now. grin

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 05-Jun-09 18:11:55

glad day went well

yes nannies are fab smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now