Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

late payment, furious, what do I do?

(15 Posts)
plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 13:55:13

One of my Mum's is also a friend and seems to think it is OK not to pay me on time. Contract states payment on last working day of month. It is 3rd June and I'm owed 3 weeks money from May. When I asked her to pay this morning she said she'd try.
Shall I tell my electricity provider I'll "try" to pay them? My mortgage provider? This is not the first time so we set up a pay every 2 weeks instead of each month deal to make it easier, but this hasn't been stuck to (she paid me for 1 week of May and so just owes for 3)
What do I do if it's not paid today? Am considering saying I can't care for her child til I'm paid or some sort of late payment charge, but that hasn't been agreed on the contract.
I'm most annoyed at being put in the situation of nasty money chaser!

SazzlesA Wed 03-Jun-09 14:00:20

Message withdrawn

LaurieFairyCake Wed 03-Jun-09 14:02:25

I would use some of the words in your last sentence:

"I hate feeling that I'm a nasty money-chaser as we're friends but obviously I have to pay my bills on time so can you make sure I don't have to ask thanks".

plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 14:09:47

Thanks sazzles, I was thinking of saying advance from now, but she knows I can't take any other children on as I'm going on maternity in September.
Laurie - a previous excuse was that she doesn't get paid til middle of month and I said then that my bills go out at the beginning so I MUST have the money by then. It's not the first time so I feel I need some sort of late payment charge as deterrent and so she understands that it is a business I'm running.

HSMM Wed 03-Jun-09 14:34:43

I had a friend who I minded for and I was absolutely mortified when their consistent late payments convinced me to charge them a late payment fee (as specified in their contract). They cornered me and complained about it, so I emailed them a list of every late payment. They didn't say any more about the late payment fee, but still carried on paying me late! However ... they and everyone else are charged a month in advance, not arrears. Any adjustments are made on the following months invoice.

plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 14:36:48

How much was the late charge? Do you use standard ncma contracts? I'll have to do a review and write it in I think.

missymoo2411 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:31:40

i have a late fee off 10 pounds per day it is late and then with draw child care so say my day is to be payed every monday i give them till tue tea time and say im very sorry but there is no child care available tom and for the rest off the week untill all fees are brought upto date also i am still adding on the late fee daily it usually works pretty quickly

thebody Thu 04-Jun-09 07:38:58

I have one mum, really nice but scatty, she now owes me £50 from 2 weeks ago and £225 from last week. I have both her children full time and she owes me overnight care as well.
no sign of money yet and today is Thursday, so will say today' just checking, are you paying the balance in cash tomorrow or cheque'.. see how hard I am?!!!!

worst part of the job I think, I just hate to have to ask but thats life aye..

rupertsabear Thu 04-Jun-09 07:51:21

Can you ask them to set up a standing order of the average, and then make monthly adjustments?

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 04-Jun-09 08:14:43

I charge in advance. I'm very strict. No payment, no childcare!

You wouldn't walk into Tesco's, do your shopping than say at the checkout, "I'll pay you next week".

NetworkNanniesSurrey Thu 04-Jun-09 08:25:32

Im not sure if you can do this with the contract you have, but if you tell her you are now only accepting payment by standing order for "Tax reasons" when the payment is applied for it will incur a bank charge if not paid. Then its the bank thats doing the money chasing.

Im not sure how this would work out exactly, i have never had to chase a late payer (touch wood!)but i have a solicitor on standby just in case i need to send a letter...

Business and friendship are such a bad mix.

JenniPenni Thu 04-Jun-09 08:39:03

I charge in advance. Makes a big difference. Worse payers were friends too... sadly.hmm

A CM cannot just withdraw care by the way, the parent can then take legal action against you, which sounds crazy as they are in breach of contract, but they can sue for loss of earnings through having to look after their own child if you suddenly stop care. This is hardly fair to the CM but is the way it is. Ask NCMA You can give notice if they arent paying, and have to provide care for that notice period even. MANY CMs get cought out this way.

Hence the need to be strict from day ONE.

Littlepurpleprincess Thu 04-Jun-09 08:46:46

Yes JenniPenni, I have a 4 week notice period, so I would give 4 weeks notice but care would be stopped. It's stupid that they can sue, but I will stick to the contract even if parent doesn't. In fact, I would be perfect, out of spite! lol.

HSMM Thu 04-Jun-09 09:25:47

I use NCMA contracts and charge a £20 late payment fee. I am thinking of raising it. You could also do the per day idea that missymoo suggested. Don't feel bad about it. Why should your money be in their bank account! A parent once asked me why it was so much when they only paid £3 per week for one school run. I pointed out that if I go overdrawn and get a letter from the bank it will cost me more than £20 and they didn't say any more.

plimple Thu 04-Jun-09 09:56:08

Thanks everyone. They paid 2/3 and will settle the difference when I next have her. I explained to the Dad on picking up that it was my job to look after the child and be paid at the agreed time, but not to go around chasing for money which I do not enjoy and makes me feel terrible. I e mailed Mum and explained that I needed assurance that June would be paid on time or I'd need week in advance from now on or charge late payment. She has said she'll pay all of June (reduced hours as previously agreed) when she settles for May. Since the hours have now changed I think we should review contract even though she'll be leaving me in September.
It really makes me appreciate the parents who I NEVER have to ask it from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now