Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone with a cleaner? some advice please

(26 Posts)
Totallyfloaty35 Wed 03-Jun-09 13:25:32

Have had a cleaner for about 6weeks,she does 3hrs a week,in that time she cleans 2 small bathrooms,kitchen and1 bedroom.She only hoovers an mops 1room,the kitchen.We are not that messy and i have an aupair so rooms are in pretty good order when she gets here.
My question is,is she really slow or is this a normal amount to clean in that time?

Sunshinemummy Wed 03-Jun-09 13:33:43

My cleaner comes for three hours a week and she cleans my three bedroom terrace, washes dishes and irons. I would say your cleaner is very slow.

stillstanding Wed 03-Jun-09 13:35:23

My cleaner comes for four hours a week and cleans our three bedroom house and irons (for half an hour I think). I would say yours is a bit slow ...

Shoshe Wed 03-Jun-09 13:36:39

Bloody hell, no, my cleaner did all my two bed, one bath,kitchen, utility, playroom, lounge, and did extras like cupbords and windows in 3 hours.

And I am a CM with 6 kids in the house.

dustbuster Wed 03-Jun-09 13:37:13

Rather slow - my agency cleaner comes for 2 hours and week and does 1 bathroom, kitchen, two reception rooms and two bedrooms really well (hoovering, dusting, mopping where necessary, cleans windows as and when).

wilbur Wed 03-Jun-09 13:39:34

I'd say that's pretty slow too. Is she dind every last detail like skirting boards, polishing taps etc, would that be why she's takking so long? Wrk out how lng yu would take t d the job, then how you do it and go through it with her.

wilbur Wed 03-Jun-09 13:40:01

Balls, what has happened to my o oooo ?

warthog Wed 03-Jun-09 13:40:43

very slow.

Totallyfloaty35 Wed 03-Jun-09 13:43:40

So she is very slow,how do i get her to go faster?It takes her about 7hrs to clean my whole house.Its a 5bed semi,its not a mansion and 2 of the rooms she didnt even need to do anything to just hoover.She is really nice though.However i can do same amount of cleaning in half the time,but dont have any ideas about getting her to speed up.

Blackduck Wed 03-Jun-09 13:49:59

mine does 4 hours and cleans two bathrooms, hoovers whole house, cleans kitchen and back room, washes floors (kitchen and backroom), tidies all rooms, etc. I'd say yours is slow...

herbgarden Wed 03-Jun-09 13:55:02

Is she agency? tell them to find you someone else. I get really really frustrated with lazy cleaners and I've had quite a few. My current cleaner is brilliant and does 3 hours - 3 beds, kitchen/lounge/dining room and 2 bathrooms -she will though dust skirtings boards, clean out the fridge and also hoovers and mops all floors downstairs as all are hard floors. Don't feel guilty - if she's not doing what you expect and it sounds like she's not doing what most people would expect then say something. It's your hard earned money that you're paying her after all.

fleacircus Wed 03-Jun-09 13:59:09

In three hours, mine does two bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and living room, plus vacuuming loads of stairs (top floor maisonette, so three flights and little landings). Then she fits in some ironing. And we often leave the washing up the night before she comes, and the living room is often strewn with DD's toys and stuff, so she tidies as well as cleans (reading that back I am aware of how slovenly we must appear and wondering if I should have name-changed blush). And then she spends any time left over ironing. She is an absolute diamond, a whirling dervish, we love her.

pagwatch Wed 03-Jun-09 14:02:10

Bloody hell she is slow!
I have a humungus house and cleaner hoovers top floor and basemant floor as well as mopping kitchen, hallway, dining room and pantry.And all the rooms are beautifully clean and tidy and she recently offered to iron for me if I want.
She is fantastic but I have to say yours is really really rubbish. Is she very cheap?

tommypickles Wed 03-Jun-09 14:05:25

Just reading about all of your fabulous cleaners, makes me think, does anyone have a recommendation for one near Guildford Surrey?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Jun-09 14:57:35

very slow

ours come in for 6hrs - but irons for 2 of those

we live in a big house, 6 bedrooms,living room, dining room, playroom and mb nice room which children are banned grin and kitchen and 3 bathrooms and down stairs toilet

get rid of her!!

squeaver Wed 03-Jun-09 15:01:32

Slow.

In 3 hrs, mine does 2 bathrooms, 2 pretty big bedrooms, kitchen, sitting room, top to bottom, very thoroughly.

kylesmyloveheart Wed 03-Jun-09 15:02:23

are you in the house when she cleans? does she seem to take ages to do it?

pagwatch Wed 03-Jun-09 15:04:52

tommy
grin I am in Guildford.
Send me your email and I will give you the details if you like

Totallyfloaty35 Wed 03-Jun-09 15:25:07

Im in the house yes,usually the other end of it though.She spent an hour in one bathroom,which had been cleaned the day before by the aupair anyway.She is not from an agency and i pay £8 an hour.
Should i just say that i would like more done and see if she can do it in the time given? should i text her?
I dont really know what to do about it but im paying her for what seems to be very little,my mate suggested i stand behind her with a stopwatch and a whip,but i think that may be a little drastichmm

atworknotworking Wed 03-Jun-09 18:49:17

have you thought about leaving her a to do list, itemised with what you want doing each time she comes.

She might be set in her ways now though, she sounds awfully slow, I do an awful lot in 3hrs and I'm a clean freak (so I'm told) so do a thorough job. I'm feeling left out actually wondering if I should get a cleaner hmm

HuffwardlyRudge Wed 03-Jun-09 18:57:39

In 4 hours my cleaner
* Does any washing up from that morning / last night.
* Cleans the kitchen incl oven and hob.
* Sweeps and mops whole house.
* Cleans 3 bathrooms.
* Tidies the childrens room.
* Dusts whole house (she moves things on shelves, dusts and straightens).
* Hangs out washing if there is any.
* Has time to do one-off jobs (eg she might clean the inside windows if the children have smeared them, or she cleans the fridge once in a while, or damp dusts the childrens toys)
* Then she uses whatever time she has left to do ironing.

nowwearefour Wed 03-Jun-09 19:21:26

my cleaner in 2 hours cleans our medium sized 4 bed house.

rubyslippers Wed 03-Jun-09 19:23:50

an hour to clean one bathroom which is already clean hmm

my cleaner, in 3 hours does 3 bed, 2 baths, kitchen, lounge/diner plus windows, all floors, (mopped and hoovered) and more

and my house is old, big-ish and awkward to clean

Turniphead1 Wed 03-Jun-09 19:24:06

Very slow - my cleaner does 5 hours and does entire 4 storey six-bed house.

Totallyfloaty35 Wed 03-Jun-09 19:52:39

Oh ok,thanks everyone,im pretty depressed now,maybe i should get a new cleaner,i need a super cleaner like everyone else seems to haveenvy
How much notice do you think i should give,i am a wuss and not up on cleaner ettiquetteblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now