Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

child minder cost when kids in full time school

(16 Posts)
nicewarmslippers Mon 01-Jun-09 21:06:13

just wondering, do you start paying less per day when kids are in full time school (and child minder just dropping off and picking up and having them for a couple of hours after school. I would understand in some ways if it stayed the same as minder will still have them all day in holidays so the space needs to be kept but obviously it is easier for them to just have them part of the day than all the day most days so do we get a reduction? I'd like to know what is normal before broaching it with her.

Thanks

LucyTownsend Mon 01-Jun-09 21:17:55

If they are 4 and attending school full time, I wouldnt be charging for during the day during the term time.

The place couldnt be filled by anyone else as all the children would be at school iyswim?

You should have a revised contract specifying term times and holiday times.

So yes, there should be a reduction. You should be paying for before/after school care during term times and full time care in the holidays.

HTH

atworknotworking Mon 01-Jun-09 21:28:08

As LT say's when mindee starts full time ed at 4yrs, I change contracts charge before / After only and have daily or half daily rates for holiday club.

gigglinggoblin Mon 01-Jun-09 21:32:32

I would expect not to pay for school hours. Unless you expect her to be on call so she cant sell your space. However it is up to the childminder, if she can only get another mindee who want all days then you may have to choose between paying or looking elsewhere. Cms can make up their own rules and policies so its probably better to ask her

cat64 Mon 01-Jun-09 21:45:54

Message withdrawn

nicewarmslippers Tue 02-Jun-09 14:27:19

very helpful replies, thanks for answering

Littlepurpleprincess Tue 02-Jun-09 19:40:52

well I charge a fiver for breakfast (from 7:30) and school drop off. Then £8.50 for school pick up, a cooked dinner and entertainment/ help with homework until 6pm.

hellywobs Wed 03-Jun-09 12:47:38

I pay £5 before school (from 7.30) and £14 after school until 6pm. The full day rate is £32 for the hols and INSET days but I think my cm may charge £40 a day for the very young ones.

Littlepurpleprincess Wed 03-Jun-09 16:36:20

£14? I had a parent phone wanting after school care and said she wouldn't go with me because £8.50 is to much! lol. I don't think £8.50 is to much for 3 hours work and a cooked dinner!

atworknotworking Wed 03-Jun-09 18:40:49

Cor helltwobs thats a lot, what area are you in, feel a relocation coming on grin

ellingwoman Wed 03-Jun-09 18:49:45

Those of you who only charge before and after school - are you on the school's list of contact numbers? If a child has an injury or is unwell and needs picking up during the day what happens? Would you prefer the school to phone parents first and then the parents contact you if they need you to collect or do you expect the school to phone you first and you deal with it?

stellabgh Wed 03-Jun-09 19:32:13

I charge £6/hr so £6 for 8-school drop off, then £18 for 3.15-6 including a snack.
I couldn't charge for the inbetween hours as they just wouldn't pay.

Jojay Wed 03-Jun-09 19:35:51

My childminder doesn't charge for the hours they are at school, but her hourly rate for hours outside school times is higher (£4.50/hr) than her full day rate (3.50/hr) IYSWIM

gigglinggoblin Thu 04-Jun-09 07:33:01

elling - its all about spaces. Cms can only look after so many chidren, if you commit to collecting one from school it could happen any time so you would not be able to look after another child as if you got the call you would be over your allowed numbers. For kids who go to nursery for a couple of hours in the day its common to pay either half or full price depending on the cm. You are unlikely to be able to sell that 2 hour space so then you can be the emergency contact without a problem.

JenniPenni Thu 04-Jun-09 09:38:20

I have had a little girl at nursery 2.5 hours each day and mum pays usual price (so sickness, hol etc. are covered), I am very flexible with her time-wise as she's often very late... I also have them earlier (siblings) since she started nursery. So we met half way. Tbh it isn't financially possible for me to have a gap in my day that isn't paid for, this is my living.

But it's up to the CM and parent as to what they arrange, there is no standard answer.

HSMM Thu 04-Jun-09 09:45:35

I don't charge when the child is at school, because they are only taking up the place of another school child ... who would ... er ... be at school! I could not replace them with a full time younger child, because I would be over my registered numbers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now