Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

you have to be joking..

(20 Posts)
thebody Mon 01-Jun-09 18:58:35

just reading the latest learned tome on childhood matters and saw this quote from Margaret Mcmillan, a 'nursery pioneer...'

'The best classroom and the richest cupboard are roofed only by the sky'

oh my good God, does that mean she has worked out that, for generations, kids enjoy playing outside .. thank you Margaret for stating the bleeding obvious.. because us poor child minders and mothers couldnt work that one out.

Please tell me she doesnt get paid to sprout that shit...

nannynick Mon 01-Jun-09 19:07:09

Wonder if EYFS will be updated to say that all childcare providers must now spend at least 6 hours outdoors every day - I'm joking of course wink

thebody Mon 01-Jun-09 19:12:08

and recogise and have a policy for hypothermia..and consent form for giving hot drinks and the correct use of blankets..

Greensleeves Mon 01-Jun-09 19:14:33

sadly there are enough slovenly shit childcarers out there to make this sort of thing necessary

better that you feel patronised than that piss-taking lazy slobs get away with treating children like luggage, IMO

thebody Mon 01-Jun-09 19:41:14

What a strange response Greensleeves, if I knew of ANY person treating children' like luggage' I would contact the authorities..

why havnt you( if you know any )instead of bringing your prejudices on to a website which is full of dedicated cms and parents WITH A SENSE OF HUMOUR

obviously something you lack..and noone should be anywhere near children imo if they dont possess one..like you..

do you really think that the majority of cms and child carers are 'slovenly shits'

actually I wasnt partonised by Margret, just amused, but I am bloody annoyed and genuinly puzzled by your pespective on child carers ..

hatwoman Mon 01-Jun-09 19:44:49

one thing you can't accuse GS of is lacking a sense of humour.

and she didn't say majority.

Greensleeves Mon 01-Jun-09 19:46:03

did I say a majority of childcarers? I think not.

Keep your knickers on!

thebody Mon 01-Jun-09 20:32:56

honestly you really think its necessary to have to tell any normal person that children like to play and learn out doors..

and do you think that the 'slovenly shit' ones upon reading this will change their ways anyway?

Oh well, I thought it was very funny anyway, 'keep my knickers on'.., as my late lovely mother-in-law used to say, I laughed my frock off..
Hey you arn't Margret are you? and Hatwoman your trusty side kick...

luckylou Mon 01-Jun-09 20:57:27

Well no, Margaret McMillan doesn't get paid - she died in 1931. And she was a nursery pioneer;she fought for reforms to improve young children's health, and set up the Rachel McMillan Nursery School in Deptford, one of London's poorest areas, with an emphasis on learning in an outdoor environment.

She also established the Rachel McMillan teacher training college in Deptford (now amalgamated with Goldsmiths College), and she and her sister Rachel were responsible for a number of other initiatives to help deprived youngsters.

She deserves our respect; and I think she'd be spinning in her grave at the way Ofsted regulates childminders - and schools.

coolj Tue 02-Jun-09 09:04:54

Oh hail Margaret, we bow to you.

thebody Tue 02-Jun-09 19:45:00

in 1931 all children played outside.. not rocket science... she should have campained for better housing and free health care for all... sorry dont get that one..

coolj lol..

juneybean Tue 02-Jun-09 19:52:02

hmm did all children play outside between 9am and 3pm ...no they didn't they were couped up in stuffy nursery rooms hence why she pioneered to get young children outside.

Did you actually read the article?

luckylou Tue 02-Jun-09 20:03:39

She died in 1931. She established the first nursery school in the country earlier in the century.

This in addition to her campaigning and work for housing and health care.

And obvious as the quote you gave sound to you it was eye-poppingly, spine-tinglingly revolutionary in the late 1800s.

Have a read, and you just might get it:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Wmcmillan.htm

http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/prints/41 37.shtml

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/letter-nursery-education-vital-for-childrens-develo pment-or-simply-hothousing-1504948.html

OrmIrian Tue 02-Jun-09 20:06:35

Eh? How can you take exception to that phrase? I think it is so true. Why would it upset you so much?

thebody Tue 02-Jun-09 20:09:43

no I didnt, but I have a degree in history.

In 1931 most poor children did spend most of their leisure time outside, fact,
I dont really know what you mean by stuffy nursery rooms, the beginning of nurserys in Britain started during the second world war and had nothing to do with child welfare but all about mothers doing war work..

also my local nursery has a tarmac play area, and no trees or shade, so the children havnt been allowed outside today as too hot..

juneybean Tue 02-Jun-09 20:30:44

You might want to have a word with the OU then, one of the case studies is someone born in 1920 attending school aged 3, that works out to me as 1923.

luckylou Tue 02-Jun-09 21:14:43

I didn't manage to link to the articles in my last post - here they are

www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Wmcmillan.htm

www.independent.co.uk/opinion/letter-nursery-education-vital-for-childrens-development-or-simply-hot housing-1504948.html

www.antiqbook.com/boox/prints/4137.shtml

You'll have heard of the Fisher Act of 1989, which gave LEAs the power to provide nursery schools and classes for children aged 2 - 5. MM was instrumental in the passage of this Act and it included many of the ideas she had been espousing for years.

Greensleeves Tue 02-Jun-09 23:31:18

lol, I have a degree in history too

and I think your comments are arse

[considered academic analysis]

Greensleeves Tue 02-Jun-09 23:32:43

Did anyone see David Brent's impromtu analysis of John Betjeman's poem about Slough? Can't imagine why that suddenly popped into my head...

PixiNanny Tue 02-Jun-09 23:37:57

Calm it kermit, really, what I got from GS's comment was the truth; there are some shit childcarers out there, fact. Not the majority obviously, and because of the minority, regulations that should be common sense are enforced, which is what (I assume) GS was hinting at.

I think somebody is trolling TBH. Maybe feeding it isn't a good idea? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now