Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny holiday overtime pay....

(14 Posts)
lor1 Mon 01-Jun-09 16:18:24

Help!!

I have worked for the same family for the last 4.5yrs.
We go on several holidays a year and previously I have always been paid hourly for all and any overtime I have worked during this time.

However they have recently asked me to come up with a lump sum figure for the next holiday as they are feeling the "credit crunch".

How should I react to this and what is the usual practise re.holiday pay?

alarkaspree Mon 01-Jun-09 16:28:27

I know nothing about usual practices, have never been or employed a nanny. But the fact that your bosses are feeling the credit crunch is not your problem. Taking your nanny on several holidays a year doesn't sound like the behaviour of a family who are really struggling.

If you come up with a lump sum for the holiday doesn't that mean they could swan off while you look after the children 24 hours/day? Is overtime for you an essential cost? Couldn't they just look after the children themselves and give you time off? Maybe you could be flexible about timings - i.e. you have an afternoon off and then babysit in the evening, or if you do your usual daytime hours you get the evening off?

Sorry if I'm completely misunderstanding the situation, it just sounds like your bosses are taking the piss to me.

nannynick Mon 01-Jun-09 17:46:54

Custom and Practice has been established contractually wise in my non-legal view.
But if you are prepared to accept a different arrangement to that which has occurred in the past, then consider how much you want to be paid per day for accompanying the family on holiday (is that what you are doing?). £150-£200 per day is probably what you would be looking at.
Very hard to know what to suggest given the limited info you have provided.
Why are you going on holiday with them? Could you not use that time as part of annual leave, or as paid leave?
How much of that holiday is actually holiday for you?

FabulousBakerGirl Mon 01-Jun-09 17:49:00

Years ago when I was a nanny, I went away with the family for 2 weeks. Had about 2 hours off in the 2 weeks and got one extra day off once home.

I would suggest they don't take you on the next holiday as it sounds like they would like you to work for free some of the time.

Laquitar Mon 01-Jun-09 18:03:40

I agree with the others. Especially with alarkaspree.

Lol at 'feeling the credit crunch'. Tell them many families who feel the credit crunch will not go holidays at all this year. Many others will go camping on a very tight budget.

Having nanny on hols is a luxury, not a basic need.

They take the piss.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 01-Jun-09 19:25:38

pmsl at credit crunch YET want to take nanny with them

they obv arent that poor wink if they go on several holidays a year hmm

hatwoman Mon 01-Jun-09 19:37:39

sounds to me like they can't afford/don't want to pay as in previous years. (which of those is academic). instead of making you an offer of some sort they're (a bit cheekily imo) putting the onus on you to come up with a proposal. so you have two choices. either do just that - ask yourself how much pay you would be willing to accept to accompany them on holiday and how many hours' work you'd be prepared to do for that (don't, for heaven's sake, omit the last bit - it really needs to be clear what exactly you'll be doing for this lump sum otherwise you and family could have a really miserable time - and you can make this point to them - very pleasantly, it's in all our interests etc). or you could say that you'd rather they made you an offer. at the end of the day it's not that relevant what they've paid you in the past, or what the going rate is. it's about what you're happy with and what they willing/able to pay. good luck!

lor1 Mon 01-Jun-09 22:09:42

Thanks every one.
That is all very helpful.
I have sent them an email outlining several different options for them to choose from,ie.taking days off on return,reducing the final overtime by 20% ect. Now just waiting for a reply.....

AtheneNoctua Mon 01-Jun-09 22:33:46

I think some of the comments here are a bit synical. Perhaps you could ask them what their budget is and then work backwards form thre and tell them how many hours that equates to? So, look at the total of what they paid you last time, maybe chop off 20% and then offern them the same 20% reduction in hours and see if that suits their budget, but everyone still gets to go on hols... assuming you want to go of course.

I think they are being honest and not necessarily cheeky. Maybe they are just trying to work out whether they can actually afford the holiday.

lor1 Tue 02-Jun-09 08:17:27

The worst bit is that I DO NOT want to go.But it has always been a part of my job,so I feel after over 4 years I cannot really say no.

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 02-Jun-09 08:18:38

Give that as an option. Say tbh you would rather stay at home this time. I am sure they could organise some childcare at the holiday place.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 02-Jun-09 10:14:45

so the parents have never gone on holidays and looked after/played with their children theirselves in the 4years you have been there?

if so i find that rather sad

unless you look after 6 children wink

i assume you have your charges on your own during week while mum and dad are at work - so if you can cope as one adult, then why cant they cope as two?

i am all for parents having a holiday that is also their holiday and to take nanny with them, but to also have a few weeks away with just them as a family

my mb/db try to go away once/twice a year without children and i have them, but they ALWAYS also have 4/5weeks away just as a family

theoriginalmummypoppins Tue 02-Jun-09 12:09:36

Agree with blondes. Why on earth some people have children is beyond me and remember I work 60 hours a week and have a ft time nanny/housekeeper so I am not on the SAHM lobby.

For my piece I would say that perhaps they arent realising what their comment means in the wider world.

being credit crunched has a different meaning for lots of people from the cutting back to smoked salmon 3x a week rather than everyday to the camping in Wales only this year.

If you dont want to go then say so and come up with a figure that they wont want to pay. Or sit down as Athene says and work out what you would want to be paid and what hours you would give them for that in return.

Its a difficult call both ways.

frAKKINPannikin Wed 03-Jun-09 13:44:19

Suggest that you don't go! It saves them your flight and hotel costs AND paying you overtime/giving you TIL (my preferred option up to now).

I've 'volunteered' not to go to Canada this year with my employers - my charge will go to Kids clubs when they need some time out and it'll be good for him. Having said that I now wish I'd volunteered to go and take then overtime pay because I have 2 weddings to sort out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now