Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help! 15 month old biting, scratching and smacking

(8 Posts)
PinkChick Mon 01-Jun-09 09:13:12

been with me a few weeks now, came from another cm for reasons (supposedly) not related to this, have made parents aware of biting which mainly happend last week, but theyve arrived this morning, scratched dd and smacked other mindee hard!sad..what to do, she doesnt 'understand' if i tell her its wrong??!!sad

nannynick Mon 01-Jun-09 09:50:27

You need to be firm and consistent. Most do understand NO at this age. They also get to understand being placed somewhere away from others - mini-timeout I suppose. By saying a firm NO and relocating them, I find most children this age do get the idea that what they just did is not acceptable.

PinkChick Mon 01-Jun-09 10:11:26

thanks Nick, she actually fell asleep in there!, but woke up screaming againsad...i wrote about the biting in the diary last week and mentioned it to one parent, i asked in diary if it had been happening at home, but didnt hear from them..no one mentioned it since..what do i say now?, maybe they thinks its ok?, maybe she gets a tap on the hand at home and sees this as what she can do? i dont know, but she IS aggressive when she does it?sad..almost like she knows what she is doing, quit angry?

KatyMac Mon 01-Jun-09 10:54:27

Poor poppet - how confusing for her

I agree with Nick mini-time out, move to another part of the room & say NO

I don't thinks it's anger, I would say frustration and maybe anger at herself maybe?

PinkChick Mon 01-Jun-09 13:25:39

not sure Katy, she also has developed a minor ilment today (wont go into too much info on here) but she is a bit grumpy sue to this, feeling uncofortable, mentioned to parent when i rang about this and the hitting but nothing was replied.

I know there are so many phases, but i cant have any children biting/scratching/kicking or hitting any of the others or me for that matter, i dont want to over dramatise it, but then i cant let it pass as it sems ahs been done in past, poss by old cm?

we've been in garden all morning, covered in suncream playing and just came in for lunch, mindee ate hardley anything, this ailment is bothering them, got them ready for nap and has dropped straight off again despite sleping this morning??..heat?..ailment??.phase??..all 3 LOL smile

5uper5tar Tue 02-Jun-09 19:10:06

all 3 i'd say, cut the kid some slack, time out at this age is bull shit and will only work the poor thing up more...get off mumsnet and give the poor kid a bit more attention maybe.say no firmly and distract but dont isolate she wont understand and is probably confused at being passed from pillar to post

fucksticks Tue 02-Jun-09 19:16:11

maybe parents dont knwo what to say?
I speak as a parent who when ds1 was at nursery was told often that 'ds did x today' and I never knew what they expected me to say!
He didnt do the things at home and how am I supposed to stop him doing them when he is in their care and I'm not even there!!?
Maybe they are feeling a bit like that.
Could you speak to them about plans to deal with the situation and ask if they agree with the way you are dealing with it to make it sound more positive and get their imput?

hellywobs Wed 03-Jun-09 12:45:12

I agree with fsticks. It's for the cm to deal with behaviour that happens on their watch so to speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now