Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Moving from Childminding into Nannying..........

(9 Posts)
childminderundercover Sun 31-May-09 17:42:07

Anyone done this? Trying to think of the pros and cons and get an idea of how the pay works.

Basically, I'm thinking of splitting with dh and am not sure I'd be able to continue childminding

Anyone changed from childminding to nannying? If so, how did you find it?

Also, would someone be interested in me with my own 6 yr old and 1 yr old? Does it matter that I haven't nannied before? I do have EXCELLENT references from all families!!! wink

Can anyone point me in the right direction on info re pay? Just to get a rough idea? I'm looking at both live in AND live out.

Basically any guidance would be much appreciated.

TIA

willowthewispa Sun 31-May-09 18:36:31

You might be able to bring your own 1 year old, but I think bringing a 1 year old and 6 year old will be tough - unless you find a family at your 6 year old's school who wants to nanny share?

Doubt you'll find a live in position with children tbh.

Where abouts are you? Pay varies a lot depending on where you are and whether you bring your child/ren. In London, maybe £8-£12 an hour without your own child, possibly less with. Outside London and the south east, maybe more like £7-£10 an hour without your own child.

Millarkie Sun 31-May-09 18:58:39

As Willow has said, you will have to work out how to do the school run for your 6 year old when you may well have commitments at the same time for your charges. We employed a nanny with her own baby which was ok, baby had to fit in with whatever my children were up to, but it's harder when you have the hassle of school runs to consider (even with before/after school clubs since most nannies are needed 8-6 minimum.
Is there a school noticeboard you could use to see if anyone at your dc's school is looking for a nanny/nannyshare?

atworknotworking Sun 31-May-09 19:38:07

Just wondering why you think you need to stop minding? (tell me to buzz off if you think I'm nosey)

Have you thought about working at a nursery, you could prob take your 1yr old then

childminderundercover Sun 31-May-09 20:00:10

Thanks everyone, good points there! I was just looking at it but I can see it's probably a difficult one.

atworknotworking - I couldn't afford to stay in this house on my own which is why I'm not sure I could stay minding. Also, I had a friend who had to stop when she split with her partner a few years ago which got me thinking. Obviously I'd look more into it but I wanted to have things to mull over iykwim. Funny you should say about working in a nursery as I was thinking about that as I was bathing the kids. I think I need to talk more to the childminder on here who changed to that recently

nannynick Sun 31-May-09 23:06:27

Keep in mind that your partner may have legal responsibilities to ensure that his children are housed... he may have to pay maintenance (until your youngest is 18 I think). You should seek legal advice about this.

The Child Maintenance Options website has a number of leaflets which are worth looking at. One in particular is about Housing

childminderundercover Mon 01-Jun-09 10:31:01

Cheers Nick. I know all that but he really doesn't get much money as it is so I was just looking at options. I'm hoping it won't come to this, maybe changing jobs and taking some pressure off will be enough to save our marriage? We'll see. Will have a look at the link later (thanks ), just off out for a day in the sun.

I'll do another post about this but if anyone has gone into nursery work with their child after childminding, I'd love to hear your thoughts Pay details are helpful but also, how did you find it?

Thanks again x

x3mum Mon 01-Jun-09 13:04:39

pay in nurseries is really not great tbh, it might be worth looking at ads for posts in nurseries to get an idea of salary.

I loved working as a Nanny in my late teens and early twenties. But at that age I was happy to bend over backwards to support the families and all their quirky ideas! I am not sure I would be as willing now in my 30's having been self employed as a childminder I could go back to it.

I did at one point do a nanny share with my own daughter. Pay was not that great though as it reflected my bringing my child who was one at the time.

One option would be to work as a nanny for one of the families you currently work for as a childminder. If they dont want to loose you they may feel it is a good option. You could do "nursery duties" for them too (kids laundry and rooms). And it might appeal to them.

Good luck with everything,

nannynick Mon 01-Jun-09 14:29:45

Pay in nurseries can vary. £13k-£15k seems typical where I live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now