Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny?

(7 Posts)
beetlemum Sun 31-May-09 13:38:32

Hi these are really stupid questions, I don't know anyone in rl who has a nanny or even if there are any nannies round here. How much would a nanny cost for FT care of a 10m old and school drop off / pick up for a 5 year old. I am in S Yorkshire. Just so I can compare the likely costs of it to a nursery and after school clubs. can you claim for a nanny through childcare element of tax credits. TIA, beetle.

nannynick Sun 31-May-09 16:21:30

I expect there are nannies around York, possibly elsewhere in Yorkshire.
Very roughly I would say that including taxes, a nanny would cost you around £100-£150 per day. It will depend on hours and the nannies experience level.
If the nanny is Ofsted Registered you can part pay using Childcare Vouchers/Tax Credits.

You would pay anything from £6-£10 an hr gross for a nanny in yorkshire depending on exp, quals etc also whether you would accept a nanny with own child.

there are the additional costs to consider such as nanny mileage at 40p a mile, cost of activities, lighting and heating in your home every day all day, meals for nanny when she is working, cost of activities outside the home.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 31-May-09 20:48:13

i would say york wages are 6/8gross so no more than 100 a day including tax

nannyL Sun 31-May-09 21:04:16

so think £100 day for wages
+40p / mile for nany to use her car (unles you provide one)
+cost of trips / toddler groups / swimming etc
+ cost of food for nanny and children (this may be included in childminders fees)
+cost of elec gas / heating etc on all day in winter (if at nursary it might not need to be in all day)

Weegiemum Sun 31-May-09 21:07:36

We had a nanny (in Glasgow) and it was about £100 a day, for FT care of pre-nursery dd2 + post nursery care of ds + after school care of dd1.

INO worth every penny (dh and I were both studying and paying from savings and his locum GP work) but we are still paying it off 20 months later!

beetlemum Sun 31-May-09 21:47:15

hmm i could probably afford £6 per hour but not £10!!
looks like its nursery then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now