Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

School holiday care...Is this allowed and parents would you be interested in this service?

(13 Posts)
2anddone Sat 30-May-09 19:21:59

Hi I currently don't work the long summer holiday as my mindees are teacher children on term time only contracts (therefore no retainer or money paid to me during any school hols)usually I love the idea of a whole summer off but this year we are broke sad. Some of the parents at ds preschool were moaning about the upcoming summer break and saying that it meant having to find things to do with their lo during the week. Most of the parents at preschool are either lucky enough to be sahm or manage to work around preschool hours as work for family (we live in quite a small tight knit community). I was thinking of putting up a sign at the preschool to offer sessional day care 8.30-11.30 12.30-3.30 with lunch from 11.30-12.30. Charging about £7 a session and £2 for lunch session (children bring own lunch I provide all drinks and snacks) full day being £16. This is about £2 more than preschool charge.
Firstly I obviously know that if I do this I would have to make sure all the usual forms are signed etc and that I am never over my allowed numbers. What I wanted to ask is....Is this idea even doable? Am I allowed to do it? Would a parent use this service as alot at our preschool go to gym or do weekly shop during a preschool session and are wondering what to do with kids in the break? Also when is a child counted as a rising 5? I know that it is when they are in full time education, but does this mean they can be a rising 5 from July when they break up (as now technically at school when they return) or not until they officially have their first day? I am asking this as it makes a huge difference to the amount of children I could have I have 2 of my own so there is a possibility I could only have 1 more or depending on rising 5's 4! Sorry for all the questions just trying to work out if this could be done before I ask preschool about putting up an ad. TIA

themoon66 Sat 30-May-09 19:28:35

Mine are now teens, so not applicable, but I would have snatched your hand off a few years ago!

spicemonster Sat 30-May-09 19:30:50

I have no idea of the answers to the technical stuff but I think that sounds like a great idea. I'm sure you'd have more applicants than you could cope with

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 19:33:07

I think they are rising 5's once they are attending school, sorry - do check with OFSTED (by email - you need it in writing)

Other than that good luck

I do it - I have a dinky excel spreadsheet which produces all the children's hours as a bar chart/gantt chart - would you like a copy?

atworknotworking Sat 30-May-09 19:45:40

Yeah, I'm presuming you are a CM I have kids that just come to holiday club and some that just come term time, it's fine you will need contracts as per usual, and will need to keep in your ratios. I think with regard to rising 5's they need to have actually started school (if they are still 4) might be wrong but I have always counted them after school start if not 5 yet IYSWIM just to stay on the safe side. Think your charges are ok, I charge £18 half day and £25 for full but I do lunch / tea as well.
I am always full at holiday club and sometimes have to let people down cos no spaces sad I'm sure that parents would love an experienced CM to look after their children, I know they often do cheapish sports clubs and things but not all children like sports, pots of paint, glue and a heap of boxes go down a treat. I expect that with summer hols being 7 weeks ths year many parents still need to work, need some grown up time Go for it and good luck

atworknotworking Sat 30-May-09 19:47:43

Just thought most of my holiday club kids are over 8's, so don't restrict yourself to just advertising at the pre-school smile

2anddone Sat 30-May-09 20:49:50

I hadn't thought of over 8's blush how many over 8's are you allowed on top of your normal ratios?

leonifay Sat 30-May-09 22:09:49

as far as i know over 8's arent restricted. but i remember someone (cant remember who) saying that you needed something difrent on your certificate. not sure tho, totally willing to accept that i'm wrong!
ask ofsted do you have there e-mail address?

atworknotworking Sat 30-May-09 22:14:06

it depends on your insurance policy I am insured for 18 shock but have an assistant, you would have to be a barm cake though to have that many IMO. especially if you have younger mindees, bearing in mind that care of over 8's must not unduly affect care of younger ones. If you are insured through NCMA your numbers will be on the back of your ins cert. and you have to think about gettng out and about it's pretty tricky with more than 10 in my experience, short of buying a bus grin

Julesnobrain Sat 30-May-09 23:44:06

Think it's a great idea

HSMM Sun 31-May-09 09:20:33

Yes. Great idea. Just make sure you are within the ratios on your registration certificate and do all the paperwork (you know what it is). See what other local holiday schemes are charging, so you make sure you don't undercharge wink

halia Mon 01-Jun-09 14:28:43

I'd snap your hand off, been round and round trying to find summer holiday p/t care for DS and would much prefer a CM but can't find one with vacancies!

RachieB Mon 01-Jun-09 17:41:23

i think it's a fab idea

sometimes i only need a few hours / half day in the school hols,rather than a whole day

but have to pay full day @ holiday playscheme £20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now