Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Weekend Staff Room - lots of paperwork

(19 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 12:22:46

Hi all

I am bringing my EYFS folder up to date & filing & doing invoices today

DD & DH are off doing dancing, then a workshop they a private lesson

& I am nearly ready for a bacon buttie

Numberfour Sat 30-May-09 14:11:20

My hands are itching to get to my paperwork but I had the car's MOT today and because DS and DH wanted to come along, I only got back 3 hours later! And then there was dishes, and washing and folding and packing away and making lunch for DS etc etc etc.

DH? Oh, he was busy settling himself to watch the football angry

best i get upstairs and do some work, before i do some damage angry

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 14:32:40

Oh pet - I read about that

I'm so glad DD & DH share a hobby - the only problem we have is when she goes sailing because he needs me to take her to that

Numberfour Sat 30-May-09 14:53:38

i knew it was going to happen, KM. left at 9 and only got back at `12. if i had gone alone i would have been back by 10!

very annoyed but i know what i need to do for inspection and a lot of it overlaps with EYP setting visit,

but why why why is it so awful for DH to take DS out for 3 hours on his own???? i have DS around all week.

Ho hum. Best i get back to work......

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 17:39:57

I am in tears

I am updating everyones folder & on an observation sheet dd has written
X & Y sit together reading books
She has linked it (correctly)
& planned the 'next step' which is to 'play a game encouraging turn-taking' which is just perfect

I know she did this on Wednesday (I wondered why she was 'fishing' with them) s I just need to get her to write up the evaluation

That is so lovely & she hasn't really been 'taught' how to do it

atworknotworking Sat 30-May-09 20:06:50

That's lovely how old is your DD?

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 20:11:01

She is 11 & I have been childminding since she was 5

I am still impressed - not only has she written it on one child's sheet he has also copied it on to the other child's sheet as 'I observed them together so they both get one'

I can't get over it

atworknotworking Sat 30-May-09 20:18:17

That's fantastic get her registered grin

My DD was 9 last week, she likes to do planning for me, never thought about getting her to do obs & ass hmm might be on to a winner here.

Yurtgirl Sat 30-May-09 20:23:26

That is lovely KatyMac

Do all childminders really have to do such an incredable amount of paperwork - ie documenting and planning every little minutae that the children do?

I am shocked

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 20:28:14

Not all childminders only the good ones

Tbh the gov have a lot to answer for, we are like mininurseries sad for me that isn't really an issue but it is for a lot of really good childminders who went into this career for a variety of reasons......the paperwork wasn't one of them angry

Yurtgirl Sat 30-May-09 20:38:04

Do you have to do paperwork even for babies?

It seems crazy - I am more than likely to be Home Educating my kids soon - my record keeping will take 10 minutes each day, if that. Planning 20 minutes maximum hopefully

There is no way I would sit and spend hours filling out forms - which is one of the reasons I didnt pursue teaching!

Paperwork is definitely putting me off being a childminder which is a real shame

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-May-09 20:40:42

I am in awe at the amount of paperwork my cm seems to do - in her own time I must add, as dd gets the most fabulous attention and care from her in the day.

Obviously there is even more paperwork than I(as a parent) am aware of.

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 20:41:11

You can do it with less paperwork.....but I am outstanding wink

Even signing contracts takes over an hour

Don't let it put you off - remember I have 10 children to do folders for

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-May-09 20:47:23

My cm is outstanding imo. (She is newly registered so hasn't had her first "offsteding") but dd and I would give her an outstanding any day.

She is very thorough both in her hands on care and with the paperwork to back it all up.

Littlepurpleprincess Sat 30-May-09 20:49:01

I don't think the paperwork is THAT bad to be honest. But I left sixth form last July and went straight into the job using the EYFS so I've never known any different IYSWIM.

When I worked at a nursery the paperwork was way OTT. Like each child had to have an Obs done everyday (they missed the point entirely, tried to tell them but they looked at me as if I was a half-wit).

Now I'm childminding I try to be a lot more level headed about it. I don't write it down unless it's relevent or new or interesting (or cute, maybe!)

I do the paperwork that actually helps me with planning and assessing and don't find that to be too much.

The EYFS is suppossed to be getting back to good, child led play.

Don't let the paperwork put you off a wonderful job. it's worth it and I'm sure most professions have a ridiculas amount of writing to do now anyway.

Yurtgirl Sat 30-May-09 21:30:55

My dd went to a childminder for 4 hours a week for quite a while - CM didnt do any paperwork as such - fine by me as I wanted her to look after dd not make copious notes on her

I certainly didnt want her to make notes referenced to eyfs

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 21:33:05

Very very difficult to get an exemption since 1st Sept very very few have been granted

KatyMac Sat 30-May-09 21:51:20

I've had 3 weekends off so I am very behind

HSMM Sun 31-May-09 09:17:53

Just had a parents meeting and the Mum was flabbergasted with the amount of paperwork in her DD's file, but also very pleased to see it and read it. I explained to her that the care and education her DD gets would be exactly the same with, or without the paperwork and she said that although it was lovely to see it, she would prefer that I spent my evenings relaxing, or setting up activities for the next day, rather than doing pointless paperwork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now