Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny or nursery?

(14 Posts)
Tiggus Thu 05-May-05 10:41:07

We have an excellent nanny who is leaving in July (wants to leave home & work in London). I am currently interviewing for jobs, none of which I know whether I will get, and none of which I know the working hours of (likely to be 3 days pw, 7am to 7pm).

My problem is that I have been offered a place at what is regarded to be an excellent local nursery (small, University dependent, experienced staff, efficient committee, large grounds). Obviously it is 8.30am - 5pm, usual nursery hours, so on the days I am working I would need someone to pick up DS and take him home, give him his tea etc. DH's hours are also 7-7. So I need some level of nanny care (NOT au-pair).

I am due to be interviewing other nannies early June, and I am coming under pressure to decide whether to take up the place (Sept start), before I have a chance to interview any potential Mary Poppins, who have shown interest in a F-T position (because I didn't think that I would get the nursery place).

So, I don't know if I will have a job, and I don't really know if I will have the option of a nanny. HELP. What do I do?

Tiggus Thu 05-May-05 16:19:12

Bump. I must have the most boring dilemma of the day!!!! (EVen I find it rather trying). Election much more interesting!

AnnaInManchester Thu 05-May-05 19:27:58

Hi Tiggus, where are you based? Im looking for a nanny job! I would take the nursery position, then ask the potential nannies who originally though it was a full-time position if they would still be interested in the part time position. If not many are still interested because of the shorter hours, why not advertise your vacancy on www.nannyjob.co.uk

You can place your vacancy for free and thousands of nannies view the site daily. You're bound to get some interest on there. Good luck!

AnnaInManchester Thu 05-May-05 19:27:58

Hi Tiggus, where are you based? Im looking for a nanny job! I would take the nursery position, then ask the potential nannies who originally though it was a full-time position if they would still be interested in the part time position. If not many are still interested because of the shorter hours, why not advertise your vacancy on www.nannyjob.co.uk

You can place your vacancy for free and thousands of nannies view the site daily. You're bound to get some interest on there. Good luck!

Tiggus Wed 11-May-05 16:06:42

I am near Cambridge - I presume you are in Manchester?!

bigdonna Wed 11-May-05 21:53:16

hi tiggus, i think you should think very carefully because there is probably more chance of employing a full time nanny then finding someone for 11/2 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs a night.Iwas a nanny in london for 16 yrs before having my own children.How old is your son would hw benefit more from a nursery or another nanny.Good luck

Aero Wed 11-May-05 22:10:55

Can you accept the place then change your mind nearer the time to relieve the pressure a bit? If they are that good, then they shouldn't have any trouble filling the place if you later renege on your decision to accept.
I was a nanny for many years too and when I had ds1, I went back to one of my families and did the school pick-up and tea-time thing until we moved away from the area. I'm sure you would be able to find someone to do part-time hours if you do decide to use the nursery place.
Apologies if I'm not making any sense - one glass too many of wine!!

Tiggus Thu 12-May-05 10:46:12

Aero - I am on that track at the moment tho just feel guilty about promising things to lots of different people - even feel like I am interviewing nannies under false pretences because I would rather use good nursery if my work hours are only 1-2 days.

Tiggus Thu 12-May-05 10:50:12

BTW, Aero, BigDonna, other nannies, what would you think if the most important thing about a job someone gave was "the money". I interviewed a nice lady on the phone y'day about our job and asked a leading question, just to get an idea of what her priorities were in her working life, and she said that money was the most important thing to her about a job.

I understand that she is quite hard up at the moment, has a child (who would come with her) and her DH doesn't earn a lot. However, on reflection, I am not sure that I know what to think about her answer ... altho she was being honest so that has got to be a good thing!!

AnnaInManchester Thu 12-May-05 18:56:55

She was honest!!! Thats a good thing, but shouldnt she have said that something else like job satisfaction and making sure she gives the children the best care? hmm....thats a toughie!

like, u can offer her the job and if money was the reason why she was there she could treat your children like crap so long as she was getting her money, but then she could be the best nanny in the world!

bigdonna Thu 12-May-05 23:01:28

Hi tiggus, i bet the nanny you talked to on the phone probably could have kicked herself.i think u need to meet her did she sound friendly.I think one of the best ways to choose is meet her see if she is a warm person and approachable.Good luck

Tiggus Fri 13-May-05 10:33:59

Yes she prob could have kicked herself - but after 9 yrs' nannying you'd think she'd have a better answer!

I have arranged to meet her in a couple of weeks anyway. You are lovely people nannies, but I do hate doing nanny searches. I just can't get over the fact that our crrent one is leaving ... I am so sad.

Aero Fri 13-May-05 10:43:42

Sorry - haven't got to this for a few days.
Yes, it wasn't the most appropriate answer she could give tbh, but I would just take her at face value when you meet her and observe how she is with your children, how she engages with them and also how they seem with her. I think children have amazing instincts too and a good nanny will show warmth immediately and most children will respond to that.
Obviously we all need to make a living, but she could probably have said something along the lines of 'well, obviously the money is important, but I think being happy in my work is the most important thing'.

bigdonna Fri 13-May-05 14:39:06

hi tiggus,it is sad leaving nanny jobs my first one lasted 4 yrs ,second lasted 8 yrs and third 4 yrs all these jobs i still keep in touch.In the holidays they come to stay with me and help with my kids!They are still my extended family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now