Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

looking for a childminder in Hackney, any recommendations?

(12 Posts)
Harriett Wed 04-May-05 16:55:04

Hello,
I am taking everyone's great advice from my last post on being worried about childcare and am now looking into all the various options.
Baby is due mid July and all going well will aim to be back at work within four months- or as long as I can do without full-time money!!!
Could anyone recommend a childminder or nanny share scheme in Hackney, East London? Or if anyone has really positive nursery experiences in the area I'd be very grateful to hear them.
Thanks in advance. H.

misseva Mon 16-May-05 13:03:36

I live in Hackney and have brilliant experience with childminders, not so great with nannies but childminders are usually mothers themselves and have alot more experience with the very young as well. babies get to build their immunity much quicker and soon start to make friends, just make sure you allow plenty of settling in time because it can be a real tug on the first day

Harriett Wed 18-May-05 18:35:05

thanks for the tips. Did it take you a long time to find yours, or did you get any good recommendations?
thanks.

misseva Thu 19-May-05 10:11:29

You need to contact the local council (best to go online) early years service and hunt around hackney and tower hamlets for a list of registered childminders. then go visiting - i went to one house where the kids were glued to the telly and the women just let them sit there and another where the kids were really sleepy (there was a gas fire on too which kind of freaked me out) so some of them give you the 'gotta get outta here' instinct but Marie who i still use 5 years on was great and she's extended family. even better as an east end outsider, you get to know a lot more people. don't let your friends be alarmist about getting a place, i started looking when ella was three months old. also some places may be full but do ring back if you really liked the childminder as they have a regular turn over of children. also, childminders are ofsted regulated and checked yearly, they are possibly better trained than most nursery staff which is a huge benefit when your child can't talk. hope that helps

Harriett Fri 20-May-05 12:18:06

thanks for the advice- I feel a lot more confident! now all I have to do is go through labour and get her out into the world!...

thanks again.
have a good weekend.
H

HappyMumof2 Fri 20-May-05 12:28:36

Message withdrawn

Harriett Sat 21-May-05 17:31:29

Thanks! You're very kind to ask around for me- I have sent you my details if you have any recommendations.

Bexybear Mon 23-May-05 13:53:20

Hi harriet

I also live in hackney but had a slightly different experience to misseva... glad hers was positve but i found it really difficult - the ones on the council list were all quite newly qualified and didnt fill me confidence - the fast turnover was actualy a problem i.e. why are they leaving? most people who find a good CM stick with them as long as possible often for all their children - The CMs I liked and who were recomended were not qualified but had years of experience and had no spaces and if they did it was well in advance when they knew one of their children was starting school...

Consequently it took two months to find someone.. (not qualified, not on the list but a nursery worker with 25 years experience and absolutely lovely) I think you are right to start making enquiries now, go and see a few, ask friends with children, try notice boards... Simply childcare is great if you are looking for a nanny or nanny share -

sorry to ramble on and good luck - the whole process reduced me to tears on several occaisons but when you find someone you and your baby like its fantastic

HappyMumof2 Mon 23-May-05 14:17:23

Message withdrawn

Harriett Tue 24-May-05 15:47:10

Hi,
thanks for sharing your experiences Bexybear, I am definitely going to start investigating now, we don't want to end up with a smoking dog owner (that has really shocked me- surely that's not allowed!!!....I am so naive!)
and thanks for the investigation on my behalf HMo2, I am very grateful.
H x

HappyMumof2 Tue 24-May-05 16:27:44

Message withdrawn

Harriett Thu 26-May-05 18:41:50

Hi- sorry to be so long getting back to you, I've been away with work.
Yes, I think it would be full-time care I would be after, although I may have opportunities to work from home (but I hear it's quite difficult with a tiny baby!!!) I am 9-5, Mon-Fri.
thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now