Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder in need of advice

(5 Posts)
Jackmummy Tue 03-May-05 19:54:50

Hi all,
My situation is relitivly simple. I am currently 15 weeks pregnant and the parents of the child that I care for have just given me two weeks notice.
They have done this because once I have the baby I wanted to take 6 months maternity leave and they would have had to find other childcare. Being effecient they have done this already and terminated my contract.
My problem now is that unless I work up until 26 weeks I am not entitled to maternity leave.
But who will hire me now? Is there much temporary work out there? Any advice on where I can look for work?
I have a two year old son, so can only really childmind. Although I am nneb trained.
What should I do?

KatieMac Tue 03-May-05 20:04:24

Ring ES Job centre....I think as a self-employed person (as long as you pay your NI) who is avail for work...you should be OK - but don't take my word for it...check

Could you advertise emergency/short term minding...or get some summer holiday children (school age might be easier as you get bigger)

NannyJo Tue 03-May-05 20:28:04

surely they can't terminate your employment for that reason that is illegal. I know they can't with nannying is it different with minding? i wouldn't have thought so. Phone ACAS for advice, they were helpful with me and my maternity rights

vickiyumyum Tue 03-May-05 20:31:49

statutory maternity pay is based on your national insurance contribution, i had a similar situation when pregnant with ds2. i called the inland revenue who said if i still continued to pay my national insurance (approx £2-3 per week)
then i would still get maternity pay.
i did this and received the £75 per week as it was 3 years ago.
so i'm sure that the situation will be the same for you. just means that you might not get any money on the lead up to the start of maternity pay.

KatieMac Tue 03-May-05 21:03:20

Nannyjo - C/Mers are self employed, so not employed and parents can terminate their contract for any reason at all...including 'just changed my mind'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now