Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club: Confidentiality

(12 Posts)
lunavix Thu 28-Apr-05 16:14:13

Second question of the day!

What is covered by confidentiality with respect to parents/mindees?

Obviously (I hope!) we can tell people mindee's name, age etc

But what cant we talk about?

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Apr-05 16:22:24

I have always thought it is stuff like behaviour rules and family stuff about them

Even more serious if you suspect abuse contact ofsted etc BUT not gossip about them at the playgroup

All my families come from DH school and so all know each other and so if I gossip about one then it will get back IYSWIM

On here is different IMO cos no one knows them

Mindee grandmother was talking to me about mindee dad {she is the MIL from hell} and she wanted me to slag off the mindee dad which I would never do to her!!!!!!!!

I just said nothing which really wound her up but it is NOT my place to agree with her in slagging off her Son-in-law {mindee DAD}

feelingold Thu 28-Apr-05 16:37:26

When I take mindees to local childminder groups, school pick up etc I tell people first name, age etc but would never discuss where they live, surname, any problems etc. Have in the past asked other childminders advice about something but just in general without giving names etc.

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 19:15:05

Yep - I'm with Feelingold, first name and age
not parent's village/occupation/age or childs behaviour/illnesses/quirks etc

But if in a group of minders the rules are relaxed as everyone is covered by confidentiality eg in my Network...which is where I get most help/advise (apart from here)

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Apr-05 19:17:23

sorry what I meant was that I think the things like behaviour etc SHOULD NOT be told to others

I think I put that the wrong way round

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 19:24:27

S'ok - we knew what you ment

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Apr-05 19:32:15

Thanks

lunavix Fri 29-Apr-05 15:11:10

Okay how about.. mindee's parents are expecting, mindee's mum doesn't work , is enjoying a break while pg. People are asking me if she's gone back to work etc, is it okay just to say 'she's expecting?'

For a general childcare policy of confidentiality, the rules are very unclear!

Blu Fri 29-Apr-05 15:19:08

Lunavix - if i was mindees mum and anyone heard about my pregnancy via my cm, I'd be v cross!

lunavix Fri 29-Apr-05 15:25:14

Really? I wouldn't have thought it was an issue, mainly because if you look at her you can tell anyways. Plus if it was MY cm, I wouldn't mind! Spose everyone is different!

Blu Fri 29-Apr-05 15:26:47

If it's obvious from looking, I suppose that's ok!

lunavix Fri 29-Apr-05 15:28:43

If it was early on, ie when it's still touch and go, and you don't know if they are telling people - sure. I wouldn't tell people if it was me or my friends either!

But I'd have thought that once it's blatantly obvious, then it's not an issue. Hmmm grey area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now