Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club...Re provision of Breakfasts

(12 Posts)
kcemum Wed 27-Apr-05 16:09:35

Just wondered what other minders charge for breakfast?

I have a mindee starting before school and I have agreed to provide breakfast, however I forgot to mention that I would charge for this as I don't provide any meals for any of my other mindees (they provide their own meals and I provide snacks and drinks)I have to do this to keep my prices low in a very competitive area.

TIA

ssd Wed 27-Apr-05 16:12:06

I don't charge but it's never usually more than a bit of toast or cereal.

I guess it depends what you serve and how much is eaten!

badgerhead Wed 27-Apr-05 17:17:14

I haven't provided a breakfast for several years now, but depending on what is eaten/supplied I would price at about £1 per breakfast

bundle Wed 27-Apr-05 17:19:47

for a few crispies?

KatieMac Wed 27-Apr-05 21:14:20

Well that's for crispie & whole fat milk & juice and washing up liquid, Hot water, fridge electric, waitress service, heat, light counicltax & water rates........
In my opinion cheap at half the price

NannyL Wed 27-Apr-05 22:21:10

Katiemac surely your council tax / rates / insurance etc are included in your hourly fee?

I would still say £1 for a few rice krispies and a cup full of milk and juice is quiet alot! (+ that extra drip of washing up liquid... (dont you wash up your own breakfast anyway, and your 1 min MAX 'preparing' a bowl of cereal should also be included in your hourly fee surely? ;)

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 07:50:49

Well I don't charge for breakfast for the parents....but I do for the tax man (iyswim) and for an under 5 (but over 1) I charge 75p for breakfast, cos if s/he eats a slice of toast - then it might cost less.....but if they only eat 3 youghurts (it has happened) - I also charge more to enable me to offer a choice....

The mindee rate covers the proportion of the fixed costs...but if I was charging for meals separately the fixed costs for the kitchen would need (?) to be paid for

lunavix Thu 28-Apr-05 08:52:23

I'm charging 75p per meal, and £2 if they want all three meals.

I'd definately charge for breakfast, it's the time of day ds is hungriest - he eats half a bowl of dried cheerios, a whole bowl of cheerios milk and banana, and then usually a piece of fruit too!

kcemum Thu 28-Apr-05 09:29:14

Thanks for the replies. I need to charge for meals due to my low hourly rate that I charge so I need to make money somewhere. The child in question has a very healthy appetite so I would not feel comfortable just offering "a few crispies " but will offer cereal, toast and fruit or yoghert. That is what my own children eat and I don't want to offer anyless for the mindees.

bundle Thu 28-Apr-05 10:04:00

katiemac, agreed, you spend extra on crispies, milk & juice and washing up liquid, however, the fridge electric, heat, light counicl tax & water rates would have to be paid whether the child was eating breakfast or not. the hourly rate for childminding "covers" that surely?

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 11:30:23

Yes - but it would reduce my tax bill if I included it.....maybe not as CT & WR are a fixed 10% and electric 33%.....

It's a moot point as I don't charge for meals anyway

Diddle Thu 28-Apr-05 21:10:22

i charge 50p for b'fast, 75p for Lunch, and £1.00 for Tea. I have just started charging, and all the parents have agreed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: