Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club: URGENT!

(27 Posts)
ssd Tue 26-Apr-05 19:40:06

AAAGGHHH!!!!

I've left this to the last minute to ask you all...

Do you charge for the hours a mindee is at nursery/playgroup, if you are the one who is taking them and picking them up?

I've got a mum coming tomorrow night who wants me to take her kids 1 and a 1/2 days a week term time only and for the one day it would be 8-3, which includes 3 hours at nursery. I usually DO charge for the nursery hours, but I just wondered as it is term time only would it make a difference.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 19:45:05

This hasn't happened to me

BUT my understanding is that you cannot have another one during that time and you are responsible for the child

If they fall at playgroup etc you will have to go to collect won't yoou

Also you are taking and collecting

Good luck with it

Xena Tue 26-Apr-05 19:50:05

Hi ssd I think you should charge although I once didn't when I needed the buisness.

ssd Tue 26-Apr-05 19:53:50

Trouble is I do need the business but my dh is determind I shouldn't sell myself short.

Oh God don't know what to do..........

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 19:55:11

But be fair to yourself too

See what KMc says

She is sure to have had this situation before

ssd Tue 26-Apr-05 20:03:52

Thanks RTKM

I hope KatieMac sees this! She is fantastic!

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 20:10:44

she has so many mindees and so will surely have had this situation before.

And is good business woman

good luck

KatieMac Tue 26-Apr-05 20:16:19

Well the only child I have that goes to Nursery (currently) I don't drop off or collect.....so I don't charge.

But if I did both I think I would.....esp if the nursery closed and I had to collect. Use heating problems or staffing problems to explain to the mum - as she might say if he's sick I'll come and get him or you....iyswim.

All these compliments it could go to a girls head (unless you all mean I'm a greedy bossy cow)

doraexplorer Tue 26-Apr-05 20:20:38

No KatieMac - you do seem to have all the answers and speak sense!!!

When i was having a childminder for my oldest she was going to charge me, on the basis that she would not be able to fill a space for what would have been about 2 hours.

Don't know what i would do probably not charge at the moment as i would want business but my dh sounds a bit like yours!

Good luck

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 20:25:07

one point Is the playgroup used for a polling station?

The nursery building at DS school is used as polling station

So nursery class/building is closed on May 5th

If that is the same you could use that as an example when you would have to be available to have mindee at home with you

ssd Tue 26-Apr-05 20:36:46

No RTKM, it's not used as a polling station but good idea anyway.

It's my gut instinct to charge, actually I have a mindee p/t in the same situation eg. he is at nursery part of the day and I do charge for those hours. But I wasn't sure of this one as it is "term time only."
Also I know the mum well and this makes it more awkward. Anymore suggestions of what to say to her when she says "Oh I'll be responsible for him during nursery hours so I don't have to pay you"?

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 20:40:03

Oh dear

But DEFFO charge if are for other mindee

RTKangaMummy Tue 26-Apr-05 20:40:36

I meant Oh dear about polling station

ssd Tue 26-Apr-05 21:05:51

I think I will charge, although I'm scared to lose business if she says she doesn't want to pay me for then......

Anyone else got a good reason to give to the mum when she says she'll be responsible for collecting in emergencies ?(as I'm sure she will say that)

KatieMac Tue 26-Apr-05 21:08:23

BTW if TT only remember to charge a retainer for the hols - at least half - but if you can fill the hol place, technically you have to pay the reatiner back

so if you had say 4 7yo - you would have to offer the retainer back to the mum

ssd Tue 26-Apr-05 21:11:53

KMc, I don't charge a retainer as it suits me to be term time only on this one.

Also I am notoriously un business like and have never asked for a retainer!!

Gawd I am hopeless...

KatieMac Tue 26-Apr-05 21:12:12

What about
nursery staffing problems
they will send home if a bad cold - you would have him (would you?)
if excluded from Nursery
training days
heating problems
when it's being painted

KatieMac Tue 26-Apr-05 21:14:08

I get F/T (half fee) for twins ...remember what I said about greedy

ssd Tue 26-Apr-05 21:18:23

But you don't come across as greedy, you just seem professional and business like.

Whereas I feel I come across as apologetic and bumbling...

KatieMac Tue 26-Apr-05 21:22:50

So I'm not an interfering knowitall...I must tell my DH....

We all sound a bit unsure in person...I just use the puter to become more assertive...

alibubbles Tue 26-Apr-05 22:18:43

All my mindees are at nursery, and I charge. The parents accept that this is the norm. I take them but one mum collects. She knows that she has to pay until the time she is available to pick her child up.

The official line is and the main reason being that you cannot under your ofsted registration fill that space with another child as the nursery chikld is registered on your books in your numbers. There could be any number of resaons as already said on here, why the child may have to be colected by you or stay at home with you.

blodwen Tue 26-Apr-05 22:20:08

I charge full fees during playgroup hours when I drop off and collect the mindee. Parents also pay the playgroup fees (if the child is under 3 - ie not entitled to free place yet). I also work term time only.

feelingold Tue 26-Apr-05 22:21:24

Most of the childminders I know charge 1/2 rate for the mindees whilst they are actually at p/group simply because they can not have another child during this time so they are technically still having their place IYKWIM.

ssd Wed 27-Apr-05 08:17:51

I've decided I will charge and if the parents don't want to pay then we'll need to look at stopping the minding.........pity as I need the business but I feel my dh is right and after all I'd only be charging the same as every other cm in my area.

ssd Wed 27-Apr-05 09:33:44

Well, I seen the mum at the school gates and told her what I'd charge. She was totally against paying when the child is at nursery. But I stuck to my guns and explained all of the other childminders I asked for advice also charge these hours. But she remained unconvinced.

Anyway thought I'd be skint as I'll need to let her little one go as she won't compromise, then when I turned on the PC I've had an e-mail from a prospective mum and I'm meeting her tomorrow night!

So fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now