Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just about to start out.....

(5 Posts)
Jo73 Sun 24-Apr-05 14:13:32

I am just about to become registered and have completed my ICP course. I am in full time employment at the moment. Once you become fully registered, do you have to wait weeks before anyone rings you enquiring about vacancies. Just trying to put a timeframe on giving my notice into to my current job! Any help/advice would be appreciated!

ljcooper3 Sun 24-Apr-05 18:08:09

If I were you I would gibe your months notice (or whatever your notice length is)as soon as possible, that way you can concentrate on filling your vacancies. Are you in London? These websites are great for adveristing on - familiesonline.co.uk gumtree.com nannyjob.co.uk sharingcare.co.uk and this website too.

Good Luck!

jothorpe Sun 24-Apr-05 18:14:27

You are not registered until you have your registration certificate - with luck you will either have that already, or you will know at what stage you are at in the registration process.

It can take several weeks for your details to pass through to Childcare Link and your local CIS, so once your certificate arrives, call your local CIS to update them as to your registration status and confirm your contact information. Then call them every two weeks so that you remain at the top of their 'virtual' pile.

Start local advertising if you have not already done so. You can advertise prior to your certificate coming through, but you are NOT ALLOWED to care for any minded children (for more than 2 hours).

If you are not already a member of Childminder support groups, then I suggest joining one or more. You can ask group members about their experiences and tips for filling vacancies.
Internet groups include:
Mind Your Own Business - MSN Group
UK Childminders - Yahoo Group

As you are still in Full Time employment, may be best not to put your notice in until you have had a few enquiries, or better still a signed contract.

KatieMac Sun 24-Apr-05 20:39:00

I'd keep your job until you have had a few enquires (at the least)

When you get your certificate, think how long you can last without money....you might keep your job until you have a mindee or give up & keep your fingers crossed

It all depends on money...I had 3 beforeI gave up..but 3 in my area gave up & 6m later they have 1 pt between them.....maney

Jo73 Thu 28-Apr-05 18:28:49

Hi

Thanks for all your help to date - I will let you know how I get on. Take Care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now