Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB - mindees with recurring nits!!!

(25 Posts)
star1976 Mon 06-Apr-09 15:58:45

Hope someone can give me some advice. Couple of children that I childmind are constantly getting nits and coming to my setting with them.

Have text mum to tell her that I have found them again and that they need to be treated and she has not even text me back.

I regularly send out a newsletter and often put on there that parents need to keep a close eye on this problem, and know that the children in question have been sent home from school before with it.

It is just driving me crazy now, am having to make sure that they don't get too close to the other children as I know that their parents would not be happy if they caught them. Was talking to the boy and he said that his mum knew that his sister had them this time but didn't treat them and still send them here.

I know that head lice are all a part of the joys of children but to be constantly getting them like this surely means that the mum isn't checking or treating properly.

Am I within my rights to refuse to accept the children tomorrow if they have not been treated effectively???

floppyearsandcurlywiskers Mon 06-Apr-09 16:15:42

I think refusing to have them is a bit harsh. Headlice are annoying but they don't usually hurt you or make you ill. Having said that it's your setting and your rules. Point her in the direction of the nearest pharmacy/supermarket when she picks up and be firm when you tell her your expectation is that she treats them both tonight!!

star1976 Mon 06-Apr-09 16:20:17

I don't mean to be harsh it is just that they always seem to be getting them, so much so that the older children are aware of it.

I hate to say it but they are the kind of children that get picked on at school as it is and I am trying to encourage them to have a little more interest in themselves, especially as the older of the two starts secondary school this year.

If she is known there as the girl with nits she is not going to have an easy time of it at all.

KatyMac Mon 06-Apr-09 16:24:49

I say either wet comb the children, every night, or I will

I don't like chemicals - so wet combing is the way to go

If I find them - I phone the parents & say either come & collect & treat the child or I will wet comb?

star1976 Mon 06-Apr-09 16:29:38

My son caught them a few months ago (I'm assuming from the two I childmind) and I used hedrin on him and the rest of us as it smothers them instead of killing them chemically.

Did think of saying I would treat her but surely that would embarass her in front of all the other kids? Have 7 kids here today, all but one of them are over the age of 8 so they would all know what I was doing.

CarGirl Mon 06-Apr-09 16:30:53

Print of the nitty gritty comb info of their website. I would send out a newsletter to all parents introducing a "Headlice Policy", anyone with live lice will need to be collected and treated before being returned etc.

I wonder if you can find some general information on the internet about how not treating headlice effectively which means people have a constant infestation is neglect as they will literally feel "lousy" as they are being sucked dry of blood!

I'm a parent who uses a CM btw and from memory she's dropped my dc off when she's noticed eggs and I've doused in chemicals so she could back and then I've nitcombed every few days until we're clear.

Yes headlice are part and parcel of children's lives but not treating them is NOT acceptable, if you are very allergic to them it is very very uncomfortable if you catch them and it is neglectful if dc aren't treated. There's a big difference to a parent struggling to get on top of an infestation to a parent just not bothering.

CarGirl Mon 06-Apr-09 16:30:54

Print of the nitty gritty comb info of their website. I would send out a newsletter to all parents introducing a "Headlice Policy", anyone with live lice will need to be collected and treated before being returned etc.

I wonder if you can find some general information on the internet about how not treating headlice effectively which means people have a constant infestation is neglect as they will literally feel "lousy" as they are being sucked dry of blood!

I'm a parent who uses a CM btw and from memory she's dropped my dc off when she's noticed eggs and I've doused in chemicals so she could back and then I've nitcombed every few days until we're clear.

Yes headlice are part and parcel of children's lives but not treating them is NOT acceptable, if you are very allergic to them it is very very uncomfortable if you catch them and it is neglectful if dc aren't treated. There's a big difference to a parent struggling to get on top of an infestation to a parent just not bothering.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 06-Apr-09 16:35:40

I ask parents to pick up and treat heads before returning the children to my setting. I don't treat the children.

I would develop a policy on it to cover yourself tho.

star1976 Mon 06-Apr-09 16:40:07

Am def going to write a policy tonight and attach it to a newsletter.

Thanks, to be honest would really rather not treat it myself.

CarGirl Mon 06-Apr-09 16:42:25

my head's itching now urghhhhhhhhhh

star1976 Mon 06-Apr-09 16:43:36

God so is mine, it is driving me mad!!!!

Ripeberry Mon 06-Apr-09 16:49:49

Lyclear is really good. No chemicals involved its just a type of liquid "plastic" that suffocates the adults then you use it 7 days later then a few days after that and since i used it on my own children then have NEVER caught them again.
On the second apllication it might seem as if it did not work (millions of the nits) but it was just the survivors and the newly hatched, then they could not lay anything.
Damn! i'm itching now as well!

floppyearsandcurlywiskers Mon 06-Apr-09 16:52:09

I thought you were talking about a younger child. At age 10/11 I would have been mortified and begging my mum to get rid of them!!

star1976 Mon 06-Apr-09 16:56:18

Exactly floppyears, at that age I would have not wanted to face anyone again if they knew that i had nits.

Have been talking to her about taking more pride in her appearance (obviously more subtely than that) but just seems to take no notice.

Have to tackle subject with mum tonight, not looking forward to it though. If I were the mum though I would be mortified at people thinking the way they do about my kids. Even though I know that the odd case of nits is nothing to worry about, would still be embarassed, so I just don't understand how she can be so unconcerned by the constant reinfestation.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 06-Apr-09 16:56:27

God i am itching too!!!

Yep agree it's not our job to treat really. I would treat my own but wouldn't treat a mindee. Don't have the time or the inclination tbh.

Ripeberry Mon 06-Apr-09 18:49:36

I would do it if the parent signed a permission form, only takes 30 mins and a hair wash grin, but then sounds like the WHOLE familly needs doing.
Do we need permission forms to do the parents grin

Scarfmaker Mon 06-Apr-09 23:24:49

Of course you're within your rights to refuse the children.

It will end up doing the rounds again and again with mindees, your own children and probably you (have you checked yourself)!.

I always used wetcomb and conditioner on my own and loved sitting there getting the dreaded buggers and eggs which are worse as they will hatch eventually.

I can't understand any mum who can't get a grip on this.

HSMM Tue 07-Apr-09 07:36:48

On my tick list permission form, I have one statement asking permission to brush/comb a child's hair (doesn't say what kind of comb). I am lucky in that I think most of the parents of the children I care for would be horrified if I gave them this news and would be madly combing the whole neighbourhood's hair! grin

coolj Tue 07-Apr-09 09:39:28

My children always use tea tree oil shampoo as nits dont like it. They never catch head lice as a result. Perhaps ask the parent to use that regularly. It is really cheap from supermarkets wink

juneybean Tue 07-Apr-09 09:46:18

I'm not being funny and I'm well aware of how annoying nits are but it's not very inclusive to refuse a child just because they have nits...

Very surprised that the school sent them home too?

CarGirl Tue 07-Apr-09 10:26:01

juneybean if my dc were going to a cm and they were coming home regularly having been infested by another mindee there I would be furious. Why should I spend hours every week nit combing 4 dds with long hair and myself because some other parent is so neglectful.

It's one thing to catch it occasionally when someone hasn't realised or is struggling to get rid it is entirely another to not bother treating your children. I take it your not allergic to their saliva unlike me - I ended up with open sores the last time I had them.

GeoPuzzles Wed 06-Jul-11 22:31:48

if the children were sent home that would get rid of nits pretty quickly end of story
some people say that it is not very inclusive, well I am fed up of my kids having nits on and off for about 6 years
if a child has an infectious disease the school expects them to be kept at home (and quite rightly so), they should do the same with nits
the impact on everybody is huge
1 to 2 hours to do my kids wet combing
too much pc
my friends kids in private school were sent home, when they had then and quite right too
why should those neglectful parents impose all that hassle on every other child in the classroom

thebody Wed 06-Jul-11 23:23:03

sorry nits arnt inclusive.. yeuk.. all children get them but parents have to treat..

i wouldnt treat children in my setting, thats the parents job and i would expect any sensible parent to treat the whole family at once..

i would definatly refuse to accept a mindee with nits or a parent who doesnt take it seriously.. i caught them myself from my dcs and they are VILE..

these children are 10!!! god what a silly cow that mother is.. the girl will be nitty nora from day one at secondary school.. how cruel of the parents and how disgusting..

exclude or you may loose other children.. i would be furious if a cm didnt take this seriously...

thebody Wed 06-Jul-11 23:24:46

shit i am itching like a freak now...

dmo Thu 07-Jul-11 09:50:02

the little girl i look after is crawling with them school have had words with me but it falls on deaf ears, yesterday i went to the chemist and got some stuff and treated her myself, i have been so sad all weekend itching my own head and getting angry and angry about the situation i am in with this child and feel sad for all my other mindees incase they get them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now