Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

HELP!-?Holiday for live-out 3-days-per week Nanny

(22 Posts)
majorstress Fri 22-Apr-05 16:04:55

Am sorting out contract details-what should I do about her holiday pay? My old au pair contract offered 2 weeks paid, but this will cost me a lot more than that did-and she doesn't work full time for me, should I just pay 3/5 ths of a 2 week holiday??? Also, when we are going away ourselves obviously she won't want to come along, as she is a newlywed. Do I have to pay her then too for doing nothing, or should I pay her but ask for her to do the hours another time to make up.

Ameriscot2005 Fri 22-Apr-05 16:08:59

You pay her normal rate for holiday pay. A two week holiday would be 6 paid days.

Yes, you should pay her when you are away (but can't you say that she has to take her holiday at the same time as you?). Don't know if this is out of line, but can you think of some projects for her to do while you are away?

majorstress Fri 22-Apr-05 16:10:05

but she only works part time-my employer doesn't give the same holiday entitlement to the part time staff.

GhostofNatt Fri 22-Apr-05 16:12:48

majorstess, she is entitled to 4 weeks paid holiday by law - but obviously you only pay for the there days she does per week IYSWIM. What we do is agree that nanny picks half the holiday weeks herself and we pick the other half but try to agree...

Pamina3 Fri 22-Apr-05 16:14:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GhostofNatt Fri 22-Apr-05 16:15:08

yup that's what i meant - 4 weeks not working but twelve days pay...

majorstress Fri 22-Apr-05 16:15:49

Good lord. Good thing I hate kids or I would think of changing my job....

Ameriscot2005 Fri 22-Apr-05 16:30:00

Say your holiday entitlement for full-time is 25 days. The same deal on a 0.6 would be 15 days entitlement.

If you take a fortnight's holiday, you are using up 10 days; the same deal for your nanny would cause her to use up 6 days.

Ameriscot2005 Fri 22-Apr-05 16:30:12

Say your holiday entitlement for full-time is 25 days. The same deal on a 0.6 would be 15 days entitlement.

If you take a fortnight's holiday, you are using up 10 days; the same deal for your nanny would cause her to use up 6 days.

reindeer Fri 22-Apr-05 19:15:24

majorstress, why doesn't your employer give the same holidays pro rata to the part timers?

I'd have thought not to do this was against the law.

ssd Mon 25-Apr-05 08:13:40

I'd have to agree with reindeer on this.Surely it's against the law or maybe I'm wrong?Also it might help asking around to find out what other nannies get for holidays.

batters Mon 25-Apr-05 09:00:45

It is against the law for employers to treat their part time staff diffently to full time staff. So as pamina and others say part timers are entitled to exactly the same holidays as full timers, on a pro rata basis. Morally as well as legally that is how it should be.

uwila Mon 25-Apr-05 09:20:07

I think that majorstress means that it is not the same because it is prorated for the art time schedule that they work.

majorstress Mon 25-Apr-05 09:45:20

Yes I meant that Uwila-I think. Thanks all.

SoftFroggie Mon 25-Apr-05 10:57:21

From what I can gather (not quite there myself), 4 weeks hols per year is standard for nannies, (for a 3 day week = 12 days), of which you set the dats for half (e.g. while you are on holiday) and the nanny sets the dates for half.

I'd be interested in answers to your other Q tho: what does nanny do if your away but she's not on leave?

NannyL Mon 25-Apr-05 19:39:40

Yes as said by others...

if you work a 3 day week by law you are entitled to 12 days PAYED holiday per year.
Conventionaly the employer will choose 6 and the nanny 6
Legally the 12 days CAN include bank hols, and the employer can choose them all, in reality i dont think any nannies would agree to that!

Im a nanny and i certainly wouldnt...

as for you being on holiday and paying her when you dont need her thats RIGHT...
if us nannies are AVAILABLE TO WORK, but you choose not to want us you HAVE to pay us anyway.

Im a nanny by the way, and my last job was 3 days per week, so i got 12 days per year!

majorstress Tue 26-Apr-05 12:06:08

So it is very important to include in the contract non-childminding tasks, so that he/she can be getting on with something while you are away with the kids.

Blu Tue 26-Apr-05 12:10:59

The agreement with my nanny was 2 weeks hol of dates of our choice, and 2 weeks of her choice. Then if we went away in addition, she did get paid.

majorstress Tue 26-Apr-05 12:21:19

Or she could come too if that was feasible or desirable.

UKMickey Tue 26-Apr-05 13:07:00

Not sure for non Euro Aupairs etc but for all other staff regardless of employment 4wks pro rota (same working pay)but if it was for a nanny (norm for nannies) it would also (of course) be pro rota & in addition all bank hols (all paid etc)

beachyhead Tue 26-Apr-05 16:20:19

While we are away and if she is working she does major kids room spring cleans, cooks kids meals for the freezer, sorts out their clothes, organises courses, lessons etc for them...never amounts to more than 2 hours a day, but at least she does something for her full pay....when we come back from holiday, she has done a family shop, then takes the kids off our hands while we unpack etc.

Sponge Tue 26-Apr-05 16:31:11

I've agreed with my nanny that she's away when we are, but we give her plenty of notice so she can plan around that. I get 5 weeks holiday a year so so does she. She also gets bank holidays. She may get extra days but that's at our discretion - for instance if dh decides to take a few days off in the summer, which isn't busy for him, to take the kids away then we'll give her those days off too.
She's happy with that arragement. It seems she gets a week more than most but she doesn't get to choose, so probably a fair trade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now