Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare in Cambridge?

(11 Posts)
MizZan Fri 22-Apr-05 14:51:04

We are moving to Cambridge this summer, have a DS (3.5) who will be at part-time nursery and expecting #2 in Nov. Am hoping to find either a childminder, mum's help or part-time nanny/nannyshare to help out. Any suggestions, anyone? Any Cambridge-based mums or CMs on here? Thanks!

Gizmo Fri 22-Apr-05 14:58:50

Hello MizZan

I'm Cambridge based (welcome, BTW, I'm sure you'll love it) but sadly DS is at a nursery so I'm not immediately helpful . I have a few friends with children at childminders, though, so I'll put the feelers out and let you know what the results are.

Where are you going to live, BTW? Do you know Cambridge well?

There's a gang of other Cambridge m'netters (who I keep meaning to catch up with but somehow never get organised ) and I expect some of them will be along soon, too...

MizZan Fri 22-Apr-05 15:30:13

Gizmo - thanks for the reply. Good to know there is a Cambridge gang on here. Don't know Cambridge too well but I think we are going to live either sort of near train station (Glisson Rd) or possibly somewhere out by DS's school (the Pelican, which is off Hills Rd). Would be really grateful for any childminder suggestions your friends may have. What nursery is your DS at (and how old is he?).

Gizmo Fri 22-Apr-05 16:41:25

Glisson Road? Very nice....

DS is now three and is at nursery just round the corner from there, actually, in a little nursery on Harvey Road. He loves it - has been there since he was wee and couldn't be happier.

I know of two childminders - one in Milton so won't be much help to you but the other is on Coleridge Road, which is a bit closer. CAT me and I can give you her details.

Also, this site might be useful for you: looks like it has a pretty comprehensive list of childcare in the area.

Hadn't come across the Pelican, I don't think - not attached to Sancton Wood is it?

girrafey Fri 22-Apr-05 17:05:22

Hiya. i am a nanny who lives in cambridgshire. just wondered if you knew what sort of hours, when start etc? If you want to email me? jolly_holly22@hotmail.com.
thanks.

MizZan Sat 23-Apr-05 16:34:10

Gizmo - Coleridge Rd. could work, how do I CAT you?

The Pelican is the nursery part of the Perse School. Seems like there are lots of good schools around Cambridge, though, both state and private.I have also heard a number of mums saying they're really happy with their kids' nurseries, which is not often the case in London (not in our area anyway!).

Thanks for the link to the childcare site, I had actually seen it but there were so many childminders on there I couldn't really figure out how to work my way through...

MizZan Sat 23-Apr-05 16:42:59

Gizmo - Coleridge Rd. could work, how do I CAT you?

The Pelican is the nursery part of the Perse School. Seems like there are lots of good schools around Cambridge, though, both state and private.I have also heard a number of mums saying they're really happy with their kids' nurseries, which is not often the case in London (not in our area anyway!).

Thanks for the link to the childcare site, I had actually seen it but there were so many childminders on there I couldn't really figure out how to work my way through...

MizZan Sat 23-Apr-05 16:43:37

ok, figured out how to CAT, have sent message.

AmyJo, I will contact you as well, thanks.

Milly1968 Tue 26-Apr-05 21:43:43

Mizzan, no advice to offer I'm afraid. However, I was interested to read your posts as your situation sounds very similar to ours. We're also considering moving to Cambridge from London, and are going to try and buy somewhere near Glisson Rd. DH will be commuting back into London everyday (will yours be doing the same?) and is slighty apprehensive about this. However, I really feel that I've had enough of living in Central London now, and would love to move back to Cambridge (I was a student there many years ago).

I'm interested to hear that your DS is going to the Pelican. Did he have to do an assessment to get in? I'm starting to think about schools/nurseries for our 17 month old twins and 5 yr old daughter, and know that the Perse/Pelican are meant to be very good. My 5yr old will probably do the assessments for the Perse and St Catherine's. I really don't know very much at all about the nurseries in Cambridge, and need to start thinking about this quite soon.

Gizmo - is your DS at the Harvey Rd nursery? I have their prospectus and thought it looked quite nice. However, I haven't registered my twins there as they require a deposit of £70! It sounds as though you are very happy with it, so perhaps I'll think about sending the deposit.

Best of luck with your move Mizzan (if you have any info on estate agents in Cambridge, I'd love to know!)

MizZan Tue 26-Apr-05 22:38:55

Milly - we are moving to Cambridge because DH's job is moving near there (Chelmsford). I am going to be trying to work part-time from home, also expecting baby 2 in November, so it didn't make sense to stay in London for us. I think the reverse commute (Camb to London) could be quite ok, though expensive, and also depends where in London. The trains are frequent and it's a lot more pleasant than the Tube.

Re the Pelican, yes my son had to do an assessment, though it was quite informal. They mainly take kids at 3/4, and a few more at 4/5, then not really after that unless someone leaves. Seems like a really nice, happy place though. We also looked at a bunch of other private and state primaries, nurseries, and pre-preps. You can CAT me if you want more details, happy to share.

Re nurseries, I've heard very good things about Ace Nursery School from several people, and it's very close to Glisson Rd. I think there may be a wait list, though. They take kids from age 2.

Milly1968 Wed 27-Apr-05 13:14:42

MizZan, thanks for the reply. I'd be very interested in any info you have on Cambridge nurseries/primary schools, so I'm going to CAT very shortly. The twins are already down for ACE nursery. However, the only problem is that they have to be potty trained, and while I can see my DD being potty trained I really can't imagine that my DS will show much interest in a potty until he's 3!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: