Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My nanny has broken her arm - what should I do?

(19 Posts)
Turniphead1 Sun 22-Feb-09 15:56:41

I have a nanny on a temporary (4 month) contract that has four weeks left to run. She broke her arm yesterday poor thing (not at work). She has had two or three days off sick during the last 3 months that I have paid her for. Her contract says she is entitled to statutory sick pay and anything else is at the employers discretion. I have never employed a nanny before and don't know what the norm is. SSP is only £75 a week which raises the question how would she pay her rent etc?

I am assuming she won't be able to carry out the majority of her duties (although it is shared care she is going to be of very little use). If she was a long term Nanny I can see that I would probably want to pay her wages for longer than the current situation. But financially we are not in a position to pay her full wages and pay someone else to help out.

What do people normally do in a situation like this? I am waiting for her to call me to see what she thinks about coming to work etc.

Twims Sun 22-Feb-09 16:06:24

How old are your children - could she not do some work?

Lucy87 Sun 22-Feb-09 16:11:41

That is a shame.

There aren't very many things I can imagine she will be able to do to help you now, so am afraid it might have to be SSP and that's the end of it?

She is a temp so presumably she has to have contingency plans for not having work at some point..

Turniphead1 Sun 22-Feb-09 16:14:38

My children are 7 weeks, 3 and 5. She is mainly helping with the older two. She could just about take the eldest to school but that's about it. The 3 year old boy - well lets just say, you need both arms for safety reasons while out and about. He is not in a buggy most of the time though.

Selfishly I don't want to pay someone £400 a week to do the school run ....

I doubt very very much that she has any contingency plans etc re; finances.

Lucy87 Sun 22-Feb-09 16:18:42

What did she intend to do when she finished working for you in four weeks time?

It's difficult but unless you'd like to shell out 1600 quid for about five hours work a week, what else CAN you do?

I'm sorry to suggest it but how do you know she has DEFINITELY broken her arm, and not just been offered another longer temp job. Before you pay any SSP or whatever else you decide to do, you might like to see some sort of medical evidence. This is a perfect excuse to get away with giving no notice. I am very cynical tho...

It's awkward, I feel for you sad

nannynick Sun 22-Feb-09 16:32:08

As it is shared care, so you would be around some or all the time... I do wonder how much the nanny could do, even with a broken arm.
You may need to change things round a bit, so that the care is mostly of the baby, plus household duties - I would suspect stacking dishwasher, putting washing in machine are still possible to do... though will take a bit longer. If their dominate arm has been injured then what they are able to do may be more restricted... so it may depend on which arm has been broken, and also how serious the break is, it may be a fracture rather than complete break.

What options do you have?
1. Pay them SSP, and do all the duties yourself.
2. Pay them SSP, pay another temp full salary.
3. Pay them full salary and not have any help.

What annual leave does your nanny have remaining? Could they take all their remaining annual leave? Then once that has been fully taken, return to work and see what they they can manage.

nannynick Sun 22-Feb-09 17:05:23

If your nanny drives to get to your home, then driving with a broken arm may be tricky.

As a nanny I would like to think that my employer would pay me in full in these circumstances, but in reality I don't see that really happening... few employers can afford to pay two people to do one job.

I think in your circumstances, you need accept that the nanny isn't going to work out the remainder of the contract. If you hired them from an agency, then the agency may have other temp nannies available who could help you out for part of each day, or for a few of the days each week. The rest of the time it will be down to you.

You may want to look at other options - such as having a cleaner, contracting out ironing, that sort of thing... so leaving you with more time to concentrate on your children.

Has your nanny given any indication of when they are likely to be out of plaster? When they can drive again? That sort of thing?

AtheneNoctua Sun 22-Feb-09 18:05:57

Isn't it up to the nanny to decide if she is fit for work? If she says she thinks she is okay and can manage one handed, you can hardly tell her not to come to work and then tell her you are docking her pay when it was your choice.

I suppose you will also know when she shows up whether or not her arm is really broken, if there is any doubt.

asg198 Sun 22-Feb-09 19:41:04

If she only did it yesterday has a dr signed her off at all? If they have then ssp only is fine as that is what is in her contract, she cannot work if she has been signed off as unfit to work if she wants to return to work before any certificate she may have runs out she will need to get the Dr to sign her back fit to work.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 22-Feb-09 19:49:48

isnt ssp paid by the goverment?

so you wont be out of pocket

so as she is a temp nanny,she might get that,and you can hire a new temp/emergancy nany for the last 4 weeks

if a perm nanny, it would be nice to be paid for time off if sick/ill, I have 6weeks sick pay in my contract, but a temp doesnt really have any rights

Turniphead1 Sun 22-Feb-09 21:29:38

You don't get all of SSP back, alas.

She rang and bless her - thinks she can manage. She is having the morning off tomorrow and thereafter will see how she gets on. The school run is a walk - she doesn't drive so that's not an issue. As for baths etc well we will play it by ear.

She works on a saturday morning and broke it friday night. She actually rocked up saturday am in great pain and I sent her off to A&E immediately as I supsected it was broken. Stupidity or dedication, depending on how you look at it?!

nannynick Sun 22-Feb-09 21:51:49

It is one of the things I dread happening really. For a few years I did have Personal Accident insurance but I'm not convinced such policies would always pay out. So these days I don't have it... but instead have around 3 months salary available in savings, spread between my bank current account and fast access internet savings account. Having that financial cushion I hope will be sufficient to cover my mortgage/bills etc. if I am unable to work for a few weeks/months.

Nannies - do you have Personal Accident insurance? Have you ever successfully claimed on your policy? Do you have any alternatives in place, to help you if you can't work for a period of time?

Turniphead1 Sun 22-Feb-09 22:15:32

Interesting point, nannynick. An insurance policy is a good idea.

I am self employed and dread being unable to work also. My Nanny is "lucky" in that my kids are old enough she can still manage (the 7 week old is very much my gig/permanantly attached to my chest). She does have an 18 month old she looks after one day and week and that she will struggle with - nappies,highchairs,buggies etc.

nannynick Sun 22-Feb-09 22:30:16

Trouble with insurance is that it may not pay out for the more simple things, like a broken arm. Just did a look around at policies and it seems that typical policies pay out for things like permanent disability.
Anyone know of a policy which covers the more usual stuff - such as a broken arm, in bed with the flu for a week, etc.

The younger the children involved, the harder it will be to cope with them, one handed. Some adapting may be needed... picnics on the floor for example.

annoyedmother Sun 22-Feb-09 22:59:55

I am amazed that anyone would be cynical enough to think that a professional childcarer would make up this excuse.

Until this year I had only had experience of childcare professionals who put the needs of the children first and I reckon there are very few who would let parents and young children down as heartlessly as this.

However, we were very badly let down oursleves recently by a temporary nanny who left us in the lurch at very short notice. Although she has asked for a three week notice period from us she gave us less then a week to find cover for our DCs - and although we'd shelled out £170 to insure her on our car we didn't make a fuss as she seemed to have her reasons (and it seems to me very important that if someone doesn't want to look after your children it's better to get rid of them or the DCs suffer) - maybe I will be a bit more cynical in future as Lucy suggests.

good luck to you OP! i feel for you.

AtheneNoctua Mon 23-Feb-09 11:02:08

annoyed mother, I think the second half of your post demonstrates that the first sentence of your post is perhaps a tad naive.

Nannies are people. And lots of people are dishonest with their work places. See current AIBU thread about boss who wants to see subordinates facebook because it presumably reveals she lied about being sick for 3 days. I don't think being a childcarer makes one exempt from this behaviour.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 23-Feb-09 12:43:25

i dont have sickness cover as most of the policys i looked into didnt pay out till at least 6weeks - which by that time, i hope to be back at work

i am very lucky - i have 6weeks sick pay at full pay in my contract - but the averga enanny doesnt have this

i alos have the same as nick and have 3mths salary saved incase of emergancy/sickness/lost my job etc

turniphead1 - glad nanny seems to be managing - its good she doesnt have to drive

if i broke my arm, i would be screwed - i need to drive to get to work, and then as work in the middle of nowehere, need to drive to go anywhere

smallorange Mon 23-Feb-09 12:47:28

Maybe a get well soon card and some flowers?

Turniphead1 Mon 23-Feb-09 20:09:49

Yup we have done the get well card, thanks. She is going to come in tomorrow and see how she gets on.

I would never have suspected her of lying (but I did see the arm). It would be a daft one to lie about I suppose but like Athene says, nannies are people too and the same proportion might make something up same as in other occupations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now