Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you call yours?

(4 Posts)
mishmash Tue 12-Apr-05 10:11:07

I have been reading through many threads on this forum of late and some seem to get quite heated.

I am just wondering what everyone's definition of a Nanny really is - is it someone fully trained in a Nanny college or do you consider a foreign childminder to be regarded as a nanny as well.

The Agency I hired my childminder from regarded them as nanny's but really and truly she only has basic childcare training together with First Aid.

So is she a nanny or a childminder?

Just a brain teaser

uwila Tue 12-Apr-05 10:42:27

I define nanny vs. au pair or whatever other job title as being a reflection of the job description, and necessarily dependant on the experience.

If I hire someone tolook after my kids with sole charge for 10 hours per day, he/she is a nanny regardless of where he/she comes from or what their last job was.

Some nannies have formal qualification. But, not having them doesn't necesarily mean you can't be one.

uwila Tue 12-Apr-05 10:43:21

sorry, meant to say "...and not necessarily dependant on..."

blodwen Tue 12-Apr-05 17:35:24

A childminder looks after children in her own home; a nanny works in the child's home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now