Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

help with potty training please

(7 Posts)
nicm Tue 12-Apr-05 09:44:33

hi
i have just startred potty training my first mindee. she's 2yrs 3 months. have made her a star chart and she is in pants not pull ups. anyone any tips/advice as i still have school runs, toddlers etc. any help would be appreciated. eg, how often do i put her on the toilet, etc

feelingold Tue 12-Apr-05 10:15:29

None of my mindees are potty training yet so got this to come, but when I was potty training mine I kept a potty in the boot of the car and some wipes so we could pull over if necessary and also when out and about kept one in a bag under the pushchair and if we needed to use it went somewhere as discreet as poss and them emptied it down nearest drain. Good luck

nicm Tue 12-Apr-05 13:27:09

thank you. went to toddlers this morning and had an accident. had her on the potty every half hour but nothing just wet pants next time wew went to the potty!! i don't have any kids of my own yet so no experience there either. thanks for your help. do you think i should keep up with putting her on the potty every 30 mins or just leave it? if i ask her does she need to go each time she says yes but when she gets off the potty...nothing??

blodwen Tue 12-Apr-05 17:43:07

Snap! I am potty training a mindee of 2y5m at the moment too. She has been siting on the potty every 10-15 mins with no results but a few wet pants in between. This afternoon (she wasn't wearing pants) she sat herself on and did a wee. Lots of clapping all round, and a sticker on the potty. Not having her again til Thursday, so will see what happens then. I have found in the past that if you can actually catch one (you have to watch like a hawk!), they sometimes 'click' what it is we're after! Good luck .

omega2 Tue 12-Apr-05 20:49:52

one suggestion if you are going out in the car during potty training, buy the pampers care mats and place them on the car seat over the cover - saves a lot of washing. also as they get further along and more reliable i used to put a black sack under the car seat as i only have a booster type and found my charge could wet right through to back of car.
I know it's probably not your choice when to potty train, but holidays are best when less school runs - i did it 3 years in a row alwasys in the summer holidays and made it so much easier.

astonished Tue 12-Apr-05 20:59:05

Hiya took me a while to work out what a mindee is!!I have potty trained four of my five kids quite succesfully and am about to embark on my fifth. I wouldn't get in too much of a tiz about how frequently you put them on the potty. Part and parcel of potty training is them recognising the sensation of needing a wee, then being prompted. What I have done is kept bottoms off when indoors, and as soon as i see them start whip them on the potty to show them where it should be done, followed by a bit of a fuss when accomplished but not too much as it can make them too aware. Potty training will lead to wet pants, but that uncomortable wet feeling will soon prompt kids to start initiating potty use, but only if they are ready, and that can be anyones guess. A couple of days in you should be able to tell if a childs ready, if not wait a few weeks and start again, otherwise a potentially simple task can be hellish. HTH

nicm Fri 15-Apr-05 08:32:38

hi thanks all. have mindee again today so i'll see how's she's getting on and how we go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now