Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Where do you keep your medications?

(8 Posts)
artyjoe Mon 11-Apr-05 16:11:22

I am currently in the process of registering, taking time due to extension going up, but have been thinking about the medicines. My partner thinks up high in a cupboard with a child proof thingie is okay, but what about if older children can reach?

Should they be physically locked in some kind of cabinet?

I was debating whether to get a big metal cash box kind of thing with a key...is this necessary?

Thanks - Joe

feelingold Mon 11-Apr-05 16:39:53

I keep everyday medicines eg ibuprofen, calpol etc on top shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards (very high up, I have to stand on tiptoe to reach them) and other medicines not used very often in a box on top shelf in my wardrobe (again very high shelf I can only just reach).
This has been ok with the inspectors on both of my ofsted inspections because 1, minded children should not be in the kitchen unsupervised and 2, minded children should not go into my bedroom as it is off limits and if children are not old enough to understand and obey this rule then they are not old enough to be upstairs unsupervised. we very rarely use upstairs as I tend to look after pre-schoolers.
I would however consider purchasing a lockable cabinet if you have to have a lot of prescribed drugs readily available to you.
Good luck.

KatieMac Mon 11-Apr-05 22:47:19

I agree with Feelingold...top shelf in kitchen (first aid kit within reach but out of the way - as a child should be able to bring it to you if you need it-but it's fairly safe)

jothorpe Mon 11-Apr-05 22:49:58

Lockable high cupboard is the best I think. Mind you, you need to be sensible about what medicines you actually even keep - no point in having things that are not needed, expired etc.

Remember that you will need to have a policy regarding the administration of medication, you can't just give a childminded child calpol as and when you like.

kelli22 Tue 12-Apr-05 08:11:41

I had a lady from the early years centre come round yesterday i asked her about this and she said as long as it was in a high cupboard there was no need for locks.

hoxtonchick Tue 12-Apr-05 08:49:54

get a lockable medicine cabinet from ikea, they're only a tenner. ours is very high up on the bathroom wall - even climbing on a chair ds couldn't reach it!

MaryP0p1 Tue 12-Apr-05 08:50:21

Hoxton, ditto.

artyjoe Tue 12-Apr-05 20:24:35

Thanks for the ideas regarding the medicine cabinet, I think I'll go for a high kitchen cupboard probably with a lockable box in it just to be on the safe side.

Jothorpe, thanks for the advice but I am more than aware of the need for a medicine administration policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now