Advanced search

If I paid my mum to look after DS while I worked - is it up to her to pay tax/NI or me?

(6 Posts)
MarlaSinger Thu 12-Feb-09 08:57:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
TheBFG Thu 12-Feb-09 09:00:45

How much are you going to be paying her?

If she's not working other than looking after your child then it's unlikely you will be paying her enough to get over her tax code?

nbee84 Thu 12-Feb-09 09:18:30

Working in her own home or yours?

In hers, she is a childminder, so self employed and pays her own tax and ni.

In yours, she is more a nanny, so you are responsible for tax, ni and employers ni.

This only applies if you are paying her more than £125 per week (approx)

NellieKnott Thu 12-Feb-09 13:22:58

Can't you just give her cash in hand so she doesn't have to declare it?

BONKmesenselERZ Thu 12-Feb-09 13:29:29

if you earn under 25k (i think) then you wont get any help from TC if you pay your mum as she wont be registered.
Cash in hand is illegal but if you do this remember your mum may not be entitled to claim certain benefits as no NI or tax paid.
I would say its her responsibilty to register with tax office as self employed regardless of how much you pay her but the llikelyhood is she wont go over the tax threshohold anyway but can atleast pay the £2.10 per week voluntary contribution to her NI.

MarlaSinger Thu 12-Feb-09 18:49:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in