Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder -forgot to get travel cot.

(11 Posts)
TwinSetAndPearls Sun 10-Apr-05 16:43:32

Have my inspection tuesday and have everything ready except we forgot to get a travel cot. At first wasn;t worried as we have dd cot in the loft but we don't have a mattress.

I spoke to a friend who is a childminder and she said you don't need one to pass your inspection and I could say that if I care for a baby I will get a travel cot or if it is a toddler they can nap on the sofa or in dd bed.

Is this right? Or am going to have to make a mad dash to Agos before work on Monday?

vickiyumyum Sun 10-Apr-05 17:00:58

don't think that you need one to register, just as you said, not currently looking after a child that requires a cot, and if i need one i will purchase before commencing care. (also when i was a childminder i didn't have a travel cotand negotiated with the mother that we would split the cost 50/50 if she def wanted baby to sleep in one. and not pram/carrycot etc.
p.s if you live near reading i have one you can borrow for your inspection.

AuntyQuated Sun 10-Apr-05 17:09:53

had my inspection 2 weeks ago, she asked where they slept and i said in a TC but my friend ahs it at the moment!! no problem

Yorkiegirl Sun 10-Apr-05 17:31:01

Message withdrawn

TwinSetAndPearls Sun 10-Apr-05 17:51:37

Thanks vickyyumyum I live in Blackpool or I would be on my way.

Dp wants to put the cot up and then I can say I need a mattress and will get one if I care for a child that needs a sleep in a cot. I however might follow Auntyquated's lead and just say I will have a TC.

This is so hard when you don't know what age children you are going to mind and although you get a grant I don't want to spend money on things I won't use.

We have gone to so much trouble that I am sure they would realise that if I really need something I will buy it.

TwinSetAndPearls Sun 10-Apr-05 17:53:04

Can I ask an insurance question? My local authority has signed me up for a years household insurance as recomended by the NCMA. Does this cover me only when I am working? Do we need to cancel our other house insurance or keep both policies going?

omega2 Sun 10-Apr-05 17:54:25

A friend of mine is a childminder and to my knowledge she doesn't have a travel cot and passed the inspection. She didn't have a fireguard either but explained that would buy one if needed

feelingold Sun 10-Apr-05 17:59:57

I am a childminder and I do not have a travel cot cos I have not yet had a child young enough to need one. As long as you have safety equipment eg stairgates, smoke detectors, cupboard locks, first aid kit etc you will be ok, you can say that should you look after a baby you will purchase a new one. You can not possibly have everything needed for every child you might mind, as long as you know what you would be required to get for different age groups. Good luck with your inspection. Try not to be too nervous, both times I have been inspected the inspectors have been very helpful and friendly.

TwinSetAndPearls Sun 10-Apr-05 19:03:59

thanks for all your advice, i am sure I will pass as I have lots of experience in early years and my house is perfect, I suppose it is just nerve wracking havingf strangers in your house decalring it as fit or unfit for children when your own child lives there.

KatieMac Sun 10-Apr-05 21:00:04

Ring the new Ins co and check what it covers you for...theres no point paying twice (and I think it's illegal...not to pay twice but to try & claim twice)

Lots of luck....mine is on 22nd

TwinSetAndPearls Mon 11-Apr-05 00:33:37

Thanks Katie Mac and good luck with your inspection.

I am all done now, have a very politically correct playroom, floors you could eat off and locks on any drawer or door possible.!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: