Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this really the best way to arrange my childcare??

(15 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Tue 10-Feb-09 19:41:22

I am paying around £1300 per 4 weeks for childcare for 3 children. Three different forms of childcare - nursery (full time place) before school club and a childminder after school. I am finding it all rather stressful. Does anyone else use a wide variety of childcare? Does anyone have any suggestions how to make my life and my families less . . . . well mad!!!!

nomoreamover Tue 10-Feb-09 19:42:32

Use a childminder for all of it - one person, one fee. Take your time choosing though as you obviously need someone reliable!

onepieceofbrusselssprout Tue 10-Feb-09 19:47:41

I only have 2 children but one goes to cm 2 days (£280 per month) and the other goes to wraparound several sessions a week, on average I pay around £60 per month for this.

dd2 was at nursery but it didn't work out, so we moved her to cm. dd1 was already settled at the wraparound club and it is convenient.

RedtartanLass Tue 10-Feb-09 19:52:54

For that money dependent where you live you may be able to get a live out nanny! Bliss..As a parent who has tried all sorts of childcare it is def the best and easiest.

nannynick Tue 10-Feb-09 19:56:36

If the current arrangement isn't working well for everyone, then you are right to take a look at it and see if anything can be changed. Since you started the various arrangements, things may have changed - such as the childminder may not have been able to take the nursery child at that time... but now does have a suitable space. You need to look at the costs, your current soluition could be lower cost, or higher cost, then other solutions - is cost a major factor, or is it worth paying more to get care provided by less providers? Also take into account how well settled your children are into their various childcare facilities - if they dislike it then a move may be good, if they love it then they may not appreciate being moved.

lindseyfox Wed 11-Feb-09 16:49:14

maybe a live out nanny would be better depending on the hours you need you could easily have someone for 40-50 hrs for the same money.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 11-Feb-09 17:45:42

sounds complicated slippers

gen the rule seems to be if you have 3children or more, it makes more finacial sense to have a nanny,but you may not want that

could your cm have all 3?

nannynick Wed 11-Feb-09 18:54:29

I disagree that a live-out nanny would cost similar to £1300 per 4 weeks. A live-out nanny I feel will cost more... especially once you add on the extra costs involved such as Employers NI, Heating/Lighting of the home, Nanny mileage, Nanny activities/outings, etc.
While a nanny may be a soluition, I feel it will come at more cost.

slipperandpjsmum Wed 11-Feb-09 19:28:07

Thanks for all the really useful replies so far. The childminder cannot have my youngest (aged 9 months) as she has a baby of her own. I also pay £40 a week for someone to help with ironing/light house work and although I know nannys do not do housework I feel my arrangements are just all to complicated. I also pay £100's for holiday clubs. My youngest seems very happy in nursery but the others do not really like the before school club but as its only for about 40 mins in the morning they put up with it. My childminder lives to far away to pick them up in the morning to take to school and after school as well. Was having a talk with my manager this morning and he asked me how things were and I burst into tears!! A sign I need to do something I think!!

nannyL Wed 11-Feb-09 19:31:54

I agree that fulltime liveout nanny will probaly cost a lot more

nannynick Wed 11-Feb-09 19:41:09

Different childminder perhaps - one who lives close to the school so can do the drop off and pickup.

nomoreamover Wed 11-Feb-09 22:10:32

if you like your existing cm and she likes you she could apply for a variation from ofsted to have 2 under 1s - this would be granted on the grounds of "continuity of care" - ie if she already cares for your other children.....

callmeovercautious Wed 11-Feb-09 22:15:41

nomoreamover makes good sense. I would rather have a CM look after my DC all in one place. (I only have one atm who is in Nursery).

Look at Nannies though, if you have that kind of money to spend it may be the answer. Or a good Au pair?

iheartdusty Thu 12-Feb-09 08:45:52

An au pair would not usually be a suitable carer for a 9 month old baby. If s/he had the skills or experience for that s/he would be a nanny in reality, I think.

AtheneNoctua Thu 12-Feb-09 08:56:15

I'd move to a live in nanny if you have the room. I don't think a live-out nanny will be more cost effective. But one of the great benefits of a nanny is that s/he will still work when the kids are sick, whcih is more than any nursery or childminder will do.

And, nannies generally love 4 day jobs so I think you'd have a good job to offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now