Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Handbook / Welcome Pack for new Nanny - good idea?

(8 Posts)
FeelingLucky Tue 03-Feb-09 13:02:29

Am thinking of writing one for my new nanny and put following info in it:
name of DD and dob
Telephone numbers of parents, aunt, doctor, nhs direct, nursery (name of keyworker)
Where first aid kit is kept
Food: allergies, favourite foods
Routine
How to operate TV, DVD, central heating, CD player, laptop
List of local amenities and activities, libraries, parks, children centres, etc.
Favourite toys, names of comfort toys
What certain words mean (we're a multilingual household)

Anything else a new nanny might find useful?

Millarkie Tue 03-Feb-09 15:21:35

I put the location of the water stop cock, and the main fuse switchboard on ours. Have thought about putting on how to deal with a power cut (we are rural and they happen quite a lot) but so far have just dealt with that verbally.

Millarkie Tue 03-Feb-09 15:26:28

And we put on the names of 'friendly' neighbours in case of emergency and the house alarm code

Tiramissu Tue 03-Feb-09 15:46:41

Yes definetely the main fuse switchboard.

Do you store things like nappies, wipes, toilet rolls in a special cupboard? If so, would be usuful to show her where they are on her first day there so if she runs out of nappies or something she knows where the spare ones are.

I think your list is very good and i have read your other thread too and it is nice to see people taking the whole thing seriously and trying to start with the best intetions rather than the usual threads we see sometimes.

On that note smile dont forget to ask her what her diet is like so can plan your shopping because you will provide lunch and snacks

FeelingLucky Tue 03-Feb-09 18:33:56

Thanks.
Not sure I know where stop cock is myself blush
Was going to introduce nanny to childminder across the road - friendly neighbour and someone to have a chat with.

Have already established she's not vegetarian, but not sure how meals will work out as we like to mealplan and cook all our meals in advance, but I think she might want to cook for herself ... anyway, sure that one will work itself out.

Millarkie Tue 03-Feb-09 18:43:01

I prefer nannies to eat the same as the children at the same time as the children (to give them a good example) but understand how that might not fit with meal planning.

Is he/she going to use your car? We make sure we've pointed out the breakdown service number (we keep it in the car) which came in handy recently when our last au pair had a tyre blow.

Oh, and if there are any places where you do not want nanny to take the children, make sure they are listed (memories of ex-nanny taking 2 yr old dd to a fast food place for lunch <vomit emoticon> and then complaining to me that they didn't have veggie kids' meals). Also banned things (eg. for us, fizzy drinks, chewing gum, sweets with gelatin in)

AtheneNoctua Tue 03-Feb-09 19:45:45

Gve her a gift card to somewhere local where she might like to go. I usually put in £20 to Starbucks in the welcome pack. Or maybe a gift voucher to the gym/spa where we belong. If she is live-in, also put some flowers in her room to welcome her.

Cantandwont Tue 03-Feb-09 22:27:21

If you have a handyman/builder you use a lot, his (her?) number might be useful. Our door jammed when I was in Brussels and dh was in Brazil just after she started and he came and rescued her.

Not to go in a book, but similar - a calendar in the kitchen is very helpful - we never used to have one, but it's great for noting dates for holidays, birthdays (for card making purposes), immunisations, babysitting etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now