Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are any Cms refunding parents for cancelling today?

(41 Posts)
Numberfour Mon 02-Feb-09 16:31:58

DH suggested I give my parents a credit for today for not sending the children to me. I said that I would not do so because I am open for business, but no children came.

Are you going to offer any refunds? I won't be. All my parents will be paid for today despite none of them being at work.....

And besides I have been doing paperwork on and off today!!!

brazenhussy Mon 02-Feb-09 16:40:35

No way. If you are open for business and they don't attend for any reason, they do not get a refund and IME wouldn't expect one either.

brazenhussy Mon 02-Feb-09 16:41:28

Otherwise they would be picking and choosing when they attended and when they didn't all the time

Numberfour Mon 02-Feb-09 16:44:40

exactly, Brazen! And they would expect credits for illness etc. My parents are very reasonable and i am very lucky to have them so it is not as if they would expect it.

just wondered if i was being a bit mean, seeing that Dh suggested it and i said NO!

nomoreamover Mon 02-Feb-09 16:48:27

No way - I was open for business and told my parents I was on call for them all day if they needed me.

hellogoodbye Mon 02-Feb-09 16:50:41

No, although I have actually done extra hours rather than less, but wouldn't refund if I did. At the end of the day, they COULD have sent their child if they really wanted to.

hercules1 Mon 02-Feb-09 16:52:11

I didnt use my cm today nor will i tomorrow. The thought of not paying her would never cross my mind.

Numberfour Mon 02-Feb-09 16:54:16

i am not sure if any of my children will be here tomorrow..... but i am hoping for another day to potter around laminating posters. filling in Learning Journeys, finishing attendance registers and f*rting around on MN!!

Numberfour Mon 02-Feb-09 16:54:56

hercules1, you sound like my lovely, appreciative parents!

hercules1 Mon 02-Feb-09 16:57:51

I regularly dont use my childminder as dh works shifts and I can finish when I want after 3.45 however I pay her for the full hours. SHe wasnt fussed about this at the start but I insisted as I like the flexibility and it's not fair on her.

lunavix Mon 02-Feb-09 16:58:28

lol we showed up at 7am as normal, and I ended up spending the day at hers as uni was closed lol grin

maybe I should have paid her double! (shh don't tell her grin )

Numberfour Mon 02-Feb-09 17:05:51

Lunavix - LOL! My first mindee arrives at 7am too, and i was up and about at 6 getting ready for the day! Your CM no doubt loved the company so perhaps she could pay you!

Hercules1, you're the kind of parent that makes Cm work lots easier - parents who are understanding. I have had a few who complain about having to pay me when i don't work eg when kids are sick or there is an inset day.

AtheneNoctua Mon 02-Feb-09 17:08:48

Did you make it snow so no one could get there? No? Then, Tell your DH he is being silly.

Numberfour Mon 02-Feb-09 17:11:42

grin

mammyofET Mon 02-Feb-09 17:20:03

I am with hercules. It would never cross my mind not to pay my CM because I couldn't get DS there.

AtheneNoctua Mon 02-Feb-09 17:20:18

Men? They've got no business sense you know.

KristinaM Mon 02-Feb-09 17:28:03

my kids are in nursery and i expect to pay the fees for today

southernbelle77 Mon 02-Feb-09 17:54:42

Goodness me no! It is a nice bonus for you not having to work but not at all your fault and you were open as normal!

I have had the opposite and worked more today because of the snow and even more so tomorrow when dd's school (and where 3 of my schoolies go) is shut!

CrackopentheBaileys Mon 02-Feb-09 17:59:24

lucky you, thats what I say! Mine are all school age so down the path they all skipped at 8am this morning!
And no, you ABSOLUTELY are NOT bu. it's basic to our business that we get paid for these days!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 02-Feb-09 20:25:47

if you were open for buisness and they didnt come/use you,they MUST pay

london11 Mon 02-Feb-09 20:48:03

They dont HAVE to pay. It depends what is in each childminders contract with their parents.

But no, I wont be refunding anyone. They would expect money back all the time otherwise grin

FruitynNutty Tue 03-Feb-09 08:16:52

Now I have a question:

Mon/Tues Mindee is being looked after by his Grandmother for two weeks while his parents are on holiday.
I agreed to pick him up and drop him off as Grandmother doesn't drive.
Now, I obviously didn't feel comfortable driving in the snow yesterday morning and Grandma was absolutely fine with it and totally agreed with me, same again for today.
Now, who's fault is it that I didn't have Mindee today? Do I charge? I really really can't afford not to!
I'm sure they will expect me to charge but I feel a little guilty as I'd said I would pick up but obviously couldn't hmm

missymoo2411 Tue 03-Feb-09 12:25:27

id charge half fees then u at least get some money and if they offer full then take it

dilbertina Tue 03-Feb-09 12:30:48

Could you offer to have a diff. day as presumably it was to give grandma a break?

FruitynNutty Tue 03-Feb-09 13:10:06

I might do half fees like missymoo says. Means I'm down by £40 though which is a huge amount to me atm - a week's food shopping sad

I can't take him on other days as I'm full.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now