Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AP time off

(36 Posts)
MuffinToptheMule Sat 31-Jan-09 20:00:05

I was just wondering what you do if your AP wants time off. Do you give her the time off and not pay her or pay her and she has to make the time up at another point. Or do you not allow time off?

Ingles2 Sat 31-Jan-09 20:02:13

depends how much time off she wants and if it's convenient.
If it's during working hours and I had to organise alternative childcare then it was unpaid. If it wasn't a problem she made up the hours another day.

MuffinToptheMule Sat 31-Jan-09 20:04:45

Do you mean your working hours or the APs working hours?

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Sat 31-Jan-09 20:06:11

what about if it is several days at a time?

cheapskatemum Sat 31-Jan-09 20:15:55

Can you be a bit more specific, Muffin? How much time off? How much will it inconvenience you? And what does she want the time off for?

Mine get a week's paid holiday if they last 6 months wink.

MuffinToptheMule Sat 31-Jan-09 20:25:23

Sorry, I'm the AP not the boss. I was just wondering if there was a general procedure for this. I've been with the family for 2 years. 1 and a half years as a live out and half a year live-in. I've never had any time off paid, (don't expect it though). I had a few days off so I could revise for my exam. My bosses were unsure as to whether I should make this time up or to leave it and not get paid.

DadInsteadofMum Sat 31-Jan-09 20:35:51

A lot of people on here say that they gove their au pair two weeks a year paid off. THis comes from the old au pair regulations, this was superceded by the working time directive whereby you are entitled to four weeks paid holiday a year even as an au pair!

Millarkie Sat 31-Jan-09 21:55:44

I would give AP paid time off if they stayed longer than 6 months. Last AP was here 5 months and had 2 single weeks off during school hols which were unpaid (mainly because I would have preferred her to be here during that time - it is easier for us to be without an AP during termtime). She also needed time off to spend with her boyfriend and family members who came to stay a couple of times, but on those occasions we just asked her to catch up with things later or leave them if they weren't important.
Since you have been there so long I would expect them to give you paid holiday (but from your other threads about your pay/being expected to go away with the family etc, I'm not surprised that they haven't offered )

tankie Sat 31-Jan-09 22:51:28

I would have assumed an au pair would get 4 weeks off paid, just like anyone else?

nannyL Sat 31-Jan-09 23:10:19

so would i tankie?

tootiredtothink Sat 31-Jan-09 23:16:48

shock

Think I'm going to have to hide the AP threads. I'm horrified how badly they are treated sad.

tankie Sat 31-Jan-09 23:46:26

I do think a lot of the time au pairs get a raw deal under the guise of being "like a family member not an employee" hmm

Ingles2 Sat 31-Jan-09 23:56:08

if we're talking paid holidays I gave 2-4 weeks a year.

Ingles2 Sun 01-Feb-09 00:00:22

hide the thread then... AP's are not the same as paid employees unless you usually invite your bosses family to stay with you for free holidays, put up and feed friends etc etc . If you don't know what having an AP is like why are you judging? hmm

MuffinToptheMule Sun 01-Feb-09 01:45:07

My family have never come here to stay with me, and definitely not for free. I have had one friend over who actually baked with the children and brought their own ingredients. My family treat me well on the surface. They do however take me for granted and I think they have just realised this as they are trying to sort out childcare for when I leave in June. They want to find someone who can drive, is degree educated, has childcare experience, speaks fluent English, is willing to babysit at the drop of the hat, but also allows them to spend time without her at the weekend. For this they will provide: a lovely double bedroom, a shared bathroom with 4 children, and 55 pocket money pw. They will also allow her to come on holiday and look after the children all week and her pay = being part of the family. Bliss!

P.s. I feel rather horrible writing that as I do like the family. I just can't stand the attitude of some people who equate an AP with a live-in servant, or an inferior being.

Millarkie Sun 01-Feb-09 08:53:51

Agree with Ingles - if you are making your mind up about how APs are treated solely by reading between the lines on internet posts you are better off hiding the threads. (Although Muffin - you really do seem taken for granted, I would never treat an AP (or a nanny) the way you are treated).

tootiredtothink Sun 01-Feb-09 15:18:52

You're right Ingles, I have never had, or been an AP so I can't judge on experience.

I have however been a nanny (some years ago now) and know how hard it can be trying to fit in with the family.

On top of looking after the children Au pairs must also be grateful for being allowed to be part of the family - when it suits the family that is!

Of course not all families are like that. I have read your posts previously and many others on the AP threads and know they are treated well and with respect.

It still beggars belief though that in this day and age it's acceptable to treat people like this, many of whom are young girls missing their own families, and think it's OK because they are paid pocket money, fed (but not too much of course) and are allowed to stay in a room in the house.

cheapskatemum Sun 01-Feb-09 19:22:23

Sorry for my mistake, Muffin. I have never had an AP stay as long as you have been with your family. In my mind there is not a shadow of a doubt that you should have had paid leave to study for your exam. Hope you have done well in it - your English seems pretty good to me!

Tiramissu Sun 01-Feb-09 19:29:42

What means 'or do you not allow time off' shock

Everybody has time off.Paid time off.

As for your employers wanting all this for £55 per week, it is very very sad what is happening with au-pairs.

MuffinToptheMule Sun 01-Feb-09 19:30:58

I'm a native. My exam was for anthropology. I'm in the 4th year of my degree. smile

halfwaythroughjan Sun 01-Feb-09 20:01:39

too tired to think,

Please be assured that most aupairs are treated VERY Well. They have an opportunity for free room and food often in very expensive cities and in exchange do some house work and easy childcare. A young girl with no qualifications has little or no hope of being able to get a job which will allow her to work as few hours as she does here whilst having a lovely room in a nice house. My aupairs room could be let for about £120 a week and she has free run of my kitchen. She works about 22 hours a week and I never ever expect anything other than saturday night babysitting from her at the weekend. Her work involves 2 mornings cleaning, 2 hours of ironing, 2 afternoons of watching my kids for 2 hours and the occasional school drop off or pick up. I pay her £70 a week for this. She has a tv, freeview, laptop and small but newly decorated and furnished room. My only restrictions on anything she does is that she doesn't shower in the mornings as we only have one bathroom. If I ask her to do anything over and above her hours I always give her the opportunity to say no and generally give her an extra £30 for her efforts and that help is never more than 3 hours. So, she gets great room and board and pay to the value of £200 ish a week for very little effort and still has time to go to school 3 days a week. It would take a lot more than 20 hours in starbucks to make that money.

Oh and she's going home for 2.5 weeks on thursday and I plan to pay her for both weeks even though she has only been here 4 months and I'll need to pay for a cleaner, extra childcare and a babysitter when she's away so it's costing me but she's a nice decent girl and I wouldn't screw her over. How is that a horrible job for a girl who hardly spoke a word of english 4 months ago and couldn't possibly have got any other job over here?

Tiramissu Sun 01-Feb-09 20:22:54

Halfway,
where do you live that you could rent a room in family house for 120 per week?
(just curiosity)

tootiredtothink Sun 01-Feb-09 20:54:01

As I have already said, there are many people here who treat their APs well and with respect. Certainly for working just 22 hours per week your AP is one of the lucky ones.

MuffinToptheMule family is not treating her well. No paid holiday in 2 years is a disgrace and it shouldn't be allowed. But as the AP will lose the roof over her head as well as a job then they are obviously too scared to complain.

Looking after children is such an important job and should be treated as such. As you yourself know it's not just looking after the children. When the AP is not there then a cleaner, childcare and a babysitter needs to be found.

I'm not attacking all people who have APs but the people who mistreat them. I try to imagine how I would feel if it were my dd in a few years from now being treated that way.

tootiredtothink Sun 01-Feb-09 20:55:41

In fact I'm not attacking anyone at allblush, just trying (perhaps very badly) to put my point of view across.smile

Tiramissu Sun 01-Feb-09 21:00:17

Tootired,
i totally agree with you.
Some of the things about au-pairs are discracful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now