Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders, pls talk to me about daily fees

(8 Posts)
waytoomuchchocolate Fri 30-Jan-09 08:40:08

sorry if this is wrong place for this question, but just wondering if there is any such thing as standard daily fees? probably the answer is similar to how long is a piece of string? smile

it's just that i've been told £75 per day by one person, and £55 per day by someone else just up the road, and having visited both, there doesn't seem to be any real difference between the two (different approaches obviously, but no real difference in terms of practial things i mean).

am in sw london, and local nursery is £65 per day, so wasn't surprised by the £75 per day at first, it was only when I then had the lower fee quoted that i started wondering.

any advice gratefully received, many thanks.

HSMM Fri 30-Jan-09 08:55:42

There isn't a standard fee, because we are self employed and set our own rates. However ... one person may include all food, nappies, outings, toddler groups, etc and the other may ask you to provide everything, or pay expenses on top (or not). Most CMs will have different fees and different 'extras'.

Sorry. Not much help.

HappyChildminderBerkshire Fri 30-Jan-09 08:59:26

As HSMM said, it depends on what is included; what looks like a great deal might be not so great if you have to pay for meals, all outings, nappies, and pack a lunch and dinner. Make sure you know exactly what is and isn't included in the fees.

Also some CMs can have more children than others, depending on space and own children, so some would have to charge more per child to make their profit. Its whether you feel the lower ratio of carer to child is worth it.

JenniPenni Fri 30-Jan-09 09:12:32

I am in SW London and charge £50(siblings) -£60 per day for a full day, this includes all meals/outings/wipes etc. Works out about £5-£6 an hour.

£75 does sound rather high to me, but as mentioned, it's up to each childminder what they charge, there is no set rate. However, I believe to get the business you should be competitive in your rates.

waytoomuchchocolate Fri 30-Jan-09 09:59:01

thanks very much for this everyone.

the cm with the higher fee does have a much lower carer to child ratio (which i think i prefer as ds is very young) so this may explain it. all expenses and food are included with both...

it seems wrong to even think about 'negotiating' over the fee to look after my child somehow - as though i don't want to pay for good quality! but would you recommend doing so if £75 does seem so much higher than other people? i'm rubbish at such things, so i'm not about to get tough! just wondered if this was the done thing or done i suppose.

thanks again in advance.

FruitynNutty Fri 30-Jan-09 13:05:24

Blimey! Time I put up my fees! wink

I'm in S.Wimbledon/Merton Abbey and I charge £40 per day 8am-6pm. Anytime around those hours are charged at £10 per hour smile
I include everything except nappies.
HTH

pinkdelight Fri 30-Jan-09 14:01:18

I'm in SW London Streatham area and pay £45 a day. £75 is astronomical! Unless you're minted.

dmo Fri 30-Jan-09 16:10:40

think i will move to London smile
all childminders round here (north west) charge £25 per day and were all NVQ3 quilfied

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now