Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

scam or above board...can any one help?

(7 Posts)
leonifay Tue 27-Jan-09 09:00:25

i've had an email from a marketing exectutive at JML Dolman asking if i'm intrested in doing an nvq in childcare, i really am and would love to do it, however i'm always cautious of theese types of emails as i worry they could be scams. however there not asking for money, its distance learning course, witch according to them would be fully funded by the government.
i've never contacted them, or anyone else for that matter about doing an nvq. i was wondering if anyone had herd of the company and if they were any good??
it all seems above board, but i'm not sure.
tia

Numberfour Tue 27-Jan-09 09:15:58

Leo, I have not heard of them but i would rather go through your local auth than through an unsolicited email ad.
better safe than sorry and for all you know they may well be recommmended by your LA anyway.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 27-Jan-09 09:24:29

From what I can see they used to be Pitman...

nannynick Tue 27-Jan-09 21:07:35

I can't find JML listed on the Qualifications List at the Children's Workforce Development Council. Therefore, I'd suggest avoiding the course - until such time as they have the course added to that list, as it will be the list that Ofsted (or whoever is regulating in future) will be using to check qualifications.
The info on the JML website does not state who the accreditation is done by... it could be themselves, not someone well known such as CACHE.

If you want to do a Level 3 qualification by distance learning, then NEC do the Diploma in Home-based Childcare. It leads to a CACHE qualification... so well recognised - it IS ON the CWDC qualifications list.

nannynick Tue 27-Jan-09 21:11:07

NEC Diploma in Home-based Childcare via Distance Learning - info page.

nannynick Tue 27-Jan-09 21:15:31

If you need a course that is funded, contact your local CIS/FIS. Depending on your situation they may have a course suitable that is partly funded.

leonifay Tue 27-Jan-09 21:34:43

thankyou so much, i didnt realise there was a list nannynick. i'll avoid this one and contact my support childminder to point me in the right direction i think. thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now