Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny diary samples

(12 Posts)
uwila Tue 05-Apr-05 16:26:07

I am hiring a new nanny, and want to require that she complete a daily nanny diary. But, I also want to make very clear what I expect before I hire anyone. Does anyone have a sample of a diary that they get from their nanny. I specifically want one that is filled out by a nanny, and not a childminder. I think it's only fair to compare nannies to nannies. Childminders have more children and I think it would be unfair to ask the same level of detail from a childminder. So, relaly looking for nanny samples.

Thanks!

MaryP0p1 Tue 05-Apr-05 17:00:59

Uwila, as you know I have worked as a Nanny and a childminder. The diary was the same really for me but as I suggested doing this rather than being asked perhaps the parent(s) hadn't expected it as part of the service. My diary would vary depending on the age of the child and the length of time I was responsible for the child. For pre talkers I would obviously put important things like toileting/nanny information, meal times, what they consisted of and amount eaten, activities and the child(ren) response, anything interesting that has happened that day, any developmental progression etc. As they develop I tend to put less details and more points so the parent(s) can begin a conversation with the child and the child can respond. With school age children I would ask these children to begin to write their own diary their level. I would put pictures, photos and anything I cuold think of that the parent would like.

A diary would normally about a year/ a year and a half with some days only being 3/4 of a page and other maybe 2 pages.

I know its not the same but I hope it helps.

Marypop

Oh and I personally think diaries are a great tool for everyone. A brilliant way to communicate with parents and making sure the parent doesn't feel excluded from the day of their child and so they feel and are involved in the day to day care even when both parents work really long hours. After all isn't what good childcare is?

uwila Wed 06-Apr-05 16:16:39

bump

MaryP0p1 Wed 06-Apr-05 16:23:25

Have you posted on the nannyjob site for responses?

SkiBunnyFlummy Wed 06-Apr-05 16:25:04

Dear Diary,

My employer really doing my head in today. Wants me to fill in a diary ffs.

Like what. Little brat No. 3 did humungus poo today, one of the worst I'd seen. Decided to waft it in employers knicker drawer for good measure.

love Nanny dear

Wouldn't it just be easier to have a chat with them at the end of the day?

expatinscotland Wed 06-Apr-05 16:28:56

ROTFLMFAO, Ski bunny! Good one.

MaryP0p1 Wed 06-Apr-05 16:29:18

You don't always get the time and the diary means that it a reasoned thought out detail of the day and things don't get forgotten as much.

A small point to think about Uwila, do you want your nanny to tell you you child has taken their first .... or do you want to see it for yourself without nanny telling you so it will feel like a first for you? I found that parents often feel differently about this.

Kayleigh Wed 06-Apr-05 16:33:39

uwila, we had a nanny for a year when ds2 was 6 months old and ds1 was 3.5. We tried a couple of formats but the one we were most happy with was

first half page (a5 pad) was a general what they did, where they went who they saw type thing.
second half page split into headings for ds2 - Breakfast, Lunch, Tea, Nappies , Sleeps

On reverse of page she would have headings for ds1
Breakfast, Lunch, Tea
And then just a line or two if anything of note

Example of 1st page:-
Tuesday 22nd Jan
Ds2 and "Nanny" went to toddler group this morning. Ds2 loved the singing and clapping at the end of session. Collected ds1 from nursery and then X and Y came for lunch with Z. After lunch all went to the library together for storytime.
Only drank 1/2 bottle milk this afternoon.
Happy all day. Enjoyed watching ds1, X & Y playing together.

Breakfast : Jar porridge
Lunch : fish, sweet pot & swede, Summer fruit pudding
Tea : chicken, carrot, pots. From frais
Sleep 9:30-10:15, 11:40-12:00, 3:30 -4:30
Nappies : 8:45 poo, 10:20, 1:30, 4:45poo

Hope that is some help....

Kayleigh Wed 06-Apr-05 16:35:52

and thank you for an excuse for getting the diries out. ds2 is nearly 4 now and it was so lovely reading them .........just spent a very nostalgic half hour

uwila Wed 06-Apr-05 16:44:58

You don't have a nanny, do you, Skinnybunny?

I can see the you (and expat) think you are funny. But, I can in fact tell you far more reasons than you would be interested in as to why a verbal chat might not work.

uwila Wed 06-Apr-05 16:45:47

That was helpful, Kayleigh. Thanks you.

SkiBunnyFlummy Thu 07-Apr-05 13:13:19

Yes I have a nanny. Full time. No diary though. She just tells me whats been happening. And I often phone once during the day.

And I am incredibly funny both ha ha and peculiar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now