Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paying a mothers help

(7 Posts)
jlh69 Sat 24-Jan-09 12:00:08

Does anyone pay their mothers help/nanny cash in hand as they would do a cleaner? Thinking of getting someone to help for a couple of months and most seem to be students etc so could I get away with it do you think?

lindseyfox Sat 24-Jan-09 12:11:32

you would still need to decclare it by going througninland revenue obv if they are below the tax threshold then you wont be paying any tax anyway.

tankie Sat 24-Jan-09 18:02:26

Don't you think your nanny deserves to get paid properly?

If you only need someone temporarily, you may be able to find a self employed temp nanny.

tankie Sat 24-Jan-09 18:02:29

Don't you think your nanny deserves to get paid properly?

If you only need someone temporarily, you may be able to find a self employed temp nanny.

jlh69 Sat 24-Jan-09 20:53:52

That was what I was wondering really- are there such things as self employed nannies. Everything I've read seems to suggest there aren't. I'm not trying to do anyone out of a proper wage. If I find the right person I'll pay them how they want but seems that a lot of p/t students want cash in hand

naturalbornmum Sat 24-Jan-09 21:03:26

Is'nt up to them to declare earnings like a childminder?

Millarkie Sat 24-Jan-09 21:36:40

If you employ a student and they aren't expecting to earn over the personal tax allowance in that financial year you can pay them the gross amount directly (ie. no need to pay their tax and then have them claim it back) but you will still need to pay employers/employees NI...and there is a very basic form that you need to fill in to make a record of how much you have paid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now