Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

WHAT QUESTIONS TO ASK A PROSPECTIVE NANNY...

(13 Posts)
MrsBigD Mon 04-Apr-05 17:27:46

I'm sure there's a thread about it somewhere but all I could find was which questions to ask a childminder

Used to have a childminder, but now with 2 kids a nanny is more affordable...

So any tips on which questions to ask besides the following I have been able to think of myself.

1. Reason for leaving previous job
2. relevant experience
3. checkable references
4. flexibility
5. reliability
6. how easy/difficult to get to our place
7. how much they want

Thank you

Blu Mon 04-Apr-05 17:35:26

I would ask what they enjoy about the job, and why they chose it. Also what they find hardest about the job. And maybe some questions about their philosophy - how do they find it best to deal with tantrums? Agression to other children while out? or otther q's relevant to your kids / their age. Outside interests and hobbies, and what they remember about their childhood that they would like children they care for to enjoy - or what they would have liked in their childhood but didn't have that they think they can offer the children they care for. What's the hardest thing they have had to deal with, and what's the most rewarding experience they have had as a nanny.

MrsBigD Mon 04-Apr-05 18:21:49

thanks Blu that'll give me something to work with. I hate being interviewed but interviewing is even worse

annh Mon 04-Apr-05 18:33:09

Also going down the interviewing route at the moment - and like you dreading it! Much easier to interview people at work!

Additional questions could be:

what they consider suitable food/snacks for children?
things they like to cook?
any particular likes/dislikes they themselves have e.g. if vegetarian, would they still be prepared to cook meat for the children?

what they consider appropriate TV for children, programmes they think are suitable? - depends on the age of your children, obv not relevant for a newborn!

Their qualifications e.g first aid, do they swim etc

How do they discipline children who are misbehaving?

MrsBigD Mon 04-Apr-05 18:38:16

thanks annh
I'm going to copy all those suggestions down into a nice little word document and shall test them tomorrow on my first telephone interview. It's a lady who's currently working in Austria and I'll be speaking to her current employer tonight... oh I'm so nervous!

uwila Mon 04-Apr-05 20:00:59

Nanny questionaire

uwila Mon 04-Apr-05 20:03:51

Hi MrsBigD. I remember a while ago you were pondering whether it was even worth going back to work. I guess you've decided to take the plunge and go back.

Yes, I too am on the nanny hiring front again. I seem to have found better response with nannyjob.co.uk than with greataupair.com, which is what I have previously used.

Maybe you could find a nanny share in Ealing (I think you are in or near Ealing, if I remember correctly??).

I have this questionaire in Word format as well. So, if you'd like it you are certainly welcome to CAT me.

sinclair Mon 04-Apr-05 20:27:24

Blu if I ever have to hire again will you come and sit on the panel? Such good ideas.

I found it hard to not ask leading questions - but then again I sort of think it's the vibe you get from the prospective nanny rather than the answers (if they're not down on the floor lego in hand within 5 mins they're out).

But when you are checking refs you can be brutal - I would dig as deep as poss on sickness/time-keeping/logistics at that stage. Good luck!

MrsBigD Mon 04-Apr-05 21:17:08

Thanks Uwila,
cat'ed you for the questionnaire.

yes I'm in Ealing. Your memory is brilliant! Not sure about a share though as I've got trouble looking after my 2 so wouldn't expect anybody to look after more than that and get out of the door under 2h

I'm having a 'chat' with my boss on Saturday to see whether he can meet my 'demands'. I'm guessing he can as otherwise he wouldn't have asked me to come in. I'll be left with £250 pcm for my own pocket after paying nanny/childcare. Not much but better than nothing and I need work for my sanity I've decided as I'm getting less and less patient with dd who's entered another stroppy phase which includes 'but I want to/this/it now' accompanied by instant pout and tears and screaming and of course usually when ds is asleep so I can't just ignore her... so calculating at 3!!!

Shall also check out the 2 websites you mentioned.

Thanks all! What would I do without mumsnet!?

uwila Tue 05-Apr-05 08:32:56

If it makes you feel better, I actually think that you have more than £250 per month to gain by returning. If you look a bit longer term, like when your 2 are both in school full time, then you have continued to build your career and that is where your financial gain will come. And you will have kept your sanity. Also, if you wait until your kids are in school to go back to work, you risk starting your career over and possibly making less money than you did when you went on your most recent maternity leave.

As far as the nanny goes, I think you'll find that a good nanny is capable of 4 or 5 kids, especially if you could find a family who has older ones.

Good luck! And extra goos luck for the "demands" negotiation.

MrsBigD Tue 05-Apr-05 09:54:34

thanks Uwila, got your email
Oh the tax bit... argh!

uwila Thu 07-Apr-05 17:27:37

MrsBigD,
Let us know how your chat goes on Sat.

MrsBigD Thu 07-Apr-05 18:57:52

will do
I'm getting all my figures together already so I'm well prepared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now