Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking for permanent nanny - but only until kids go to school. How to explain/word?

(3 Posts)
patriciawentworthheroine Mon 19-Jan-09 10:10:34

Another nanny recruitment question. I've put 'permanent' on my job ads, but it will only be until the kids go to school (youngest is 5 months) and it's also possible that we'd think about nursery again once DC2 goes to school (he's two).

So how do I explain this to candidates/in the contract if i find someone? What would happen if I wanted to finish the nanny's contract & send DC3 to nursery in two years' time?

I imagine that this is a natural hazard of being a nanny - your charges are forever growing up and you have to move on - so there must be some 'established' way of wording this?

Any advice gratefully received.

nannynick Mon 19-Jan-09 10:20:23

You could state the precise time-period, but from what you have written I don't think you know that time-period for sure yet.

DC2 is 2 now, so will start school when? Sept 20010? 2011? Either way it's over a year away.
When you interview candidates you can chat about their experience of working for families where the children have been toddlers and then gone to school. You could then say that when your children do go to school full-time you will be reconsidering your childcare options - thus telling them that you may not need a nanny at that point, but leaving it open just in case you change your mind in a few years time.

Nanny contracts have in them a section regarding Termination. Typically notice period during the first month or so is quite short, so should it not be working out, either party can terminate quickly. Once beyond the probation period, the notice period increases, typically to 4 weeks though can be longer.
When you come to make the decision that you no longer require a nanny, you just give them the notice as required under the terms of the contract. If they have been there sufficient time to qualify for redundancy pay, then that would also be payable (as you are in effect making the position redundant).

Millarkie Mon 19-Jan-09 17:51:25

I would just use a standard contract, with normal notice periods..and then expect to make the nanny's job 'redundant' if/when you decide to use a nursery instead. Depending on the length of time you employ the nanny you may need to pay them an additional week or two's pay at this point, but I am sure that nannies are quite aware that people's childcare changes as the children grow and this is quite a normal occurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now