Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM unpaid fees advice

(9 Posts)
Jenf2306 Tue 23-Dec-08 23:08:19

has any CM taken a parent to court??

i had a parent leave without paying notice and it is going through the solicitors. the parent has been served court papers now and has 14 days to decide wether to defend or settle.

it has been going on since Aug and i just want the money owed but i know it will end in court

what experiences have people got of this??


HSMM Wed 24-Dec-08 08:03:30

I haven't, but I know minders who have and some even have ended up with a Court Order deducting money from a parents wages.

Jenf2306 Fri 26-Dec-08 23:54:06

HI HSMM. thanks for your reply. I will have to wait and see what happens x

lisad123 Sat 27-Dec-08 00:17:27

my CM/friend did this to someone that owed her over £1000, they won and they were meant to garnish her wages but then she moved jobs and house and they lost track of her. HTH

Jenf2306 Fri 02-Jan-09 11:05:11

Thanks for your replies.

Just bumping up again to see if anyone has anymore advice??

Thanks x

thebumcleaner Fri 02-Jan-09 12:05:27

I have had a friend that took someone to court and won, and also have found a threatening letter about legal action has done in the past.

linsaydoubtfire Tue 13-Jan-09 11:52:21

Hi! have a friend who has had same prob,not worth the hassle.
if they have any other debts outstanding when you go to small claims crt,they can use this to their advantage.
Best advise tell all cm and even nurseries,that they are bad payers our childminding group pass details about these parents,so if they are needing childcare no one will touch them.
In future when doing contract tell them that you need their national i number as now required by tax office,they then think twice before doing a runner with yr money.

cleverchick Tue 13-Jan-09 22:19:28

I have a parent who disappeared with a month's fees as she kept on saying her monies hasnt come thru. she changed jobs and was not sure the address she had given me was correct. consulted NCMA were not helpful so ended up writting it as a bad debt. hopefully yu will be lucky on yours hey. now am very strict when it comes to fees payin.

Jenf2306 Wed 14-Jan-09 09:05:28

thanks for some more advice.

linsaydoubtfire - it is more the principle of the matter and i know now it will go to court as the parent has said she is defending herself. she has a very good job and her dp is in the police force. she is just trying to pull a fast one. its too long a story to go into. i will definately think about asking for ni number from now on. Thanks for that

cleverchick - NCMA have been ok but the solicitors i have been using thorugh them have been very on the ball when letters have been sent etc. It is hard when a parent says their money hasn't come through but maqke sure you receive payment. sometimes you don't think about things until they happen and i suppose we sometimes have to learn the hard way.

the only thing which has been bugging me is why have the ncma contracts if they aren't worth the paper they are written on? i only say this as i know if the parent makes an offer of something she will pay i have to except. if i don't except the support from them ends there.

I'm now waiting for the report that the parent will write about how she is defending herself. will see what happens

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: