Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair / Easter holidays - what 's fair?

(12 Posts)
goreousgirl Wed 23-Mar-05 14:15:37

I know that I have to give my au pair Easter Fri and Mon off (and to be fair she deserves it)! However, we are at home (not going away) - over Easter. On Tues-Thurs we have to go away for 3 days to a family funeral.

So ultimately she is going to get a week off....

I am currently freelancing and paying her £5 per hour extra to cover an extra 2.5 hours per day whilst I work from home.

Do I revert to her usual £60 per week or do I pay her the extra money??? What's 'fair'?

goreousgirl Wed 23-Mar-05 16:13:06

bump

goreousgirl Wed 23-Mar-05 16:19:19

Bumpety bumpety bumpety bump

goreousgirl Wed 23-Mar-05 20:47:36

...and one final bump for the evening crowd....

Tanzie Wed 23-Mar-05 20:47:58

If you're not there and it will effectively be leave for her, I'd pay her the basic for the time you're away/on leave.

uwila Wed 23-Mar-05 21:37:51

Agree with Tanzie... and you could could count it toward her annual holiday time (if you haven't already given it elsewhere). ALthough, even I would regard that as a little bit cheeky on such short notice.

goreousgirl Wed 23-Mar-05 21:39:02

Thanks Tanzie - Do you think she'll resent the loss though? I feel like I'm being mean, but I won't be being paid - so it's hard to hand over the cash, especially when she's going to have such an easy time....

annh Wed 23-Mar-05 23:33:25

Have a heart, Uwila! Agree that the aupair should be paid basic rather than any additional amount but why on earth should she be forced to take holiday on short notice so that the family can attend a funeral?

bobbybob Thu 24-Mar-05 03:43:44

If you are not working and neither is she, and you have not made her take holiday or come with you to the funeral then I think the basic rate is fair.

uwila Thu 24-Mar-05 09:44:51

Oh right, I should read a bit more carefully. Missed the bit about unplanned week for funeral. I would probably just give her the time off at basic pay if I didn't want her to accompany us to the funeral.

In fact, I did this on Tuesday for DD's birthday, which was Tuesday. On Monday evening I decided to take the day off myself and spend it with DD. And, so just gave nanny the day off.

sinclair Thu 24-Mar-05 11:03:43

What we have done in the past (with nanny so slightly different situ) is pay as normal even when we didn't need her services as it were, and then 'bank' that time with her agreement against future hours, at less than pro rata, so it not just deferring the hours. Everyone wins that way - your au pair gets her normal wage, and a holiday, and feels looked after, it costs you no more than it would do normally anyway, and she 'owes' you a couple of nights extra b/sitting or whatever you agree. We have given our nanny a fifth week's holiday, paid as usual, and then had the time back later in the year as a weekend so we could get away for example. Hope this makes sense!

goreousgirl Thu 24-Mar-05 11:37:53

Thanks everyone - yes Sinclair - think I came to the same conclusion - I'm going to give her a BIT less money - but I've asked her to babysit on a Friday night (even tho there's one a week in her contract - I NEVER ask her), so I think that's fair.

Thanks guys - appreciate the time!

gg

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: