Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does anyone have any advice on starting childminding?

(8 Posts)
kelli22 Tue 22-Mar-05 08:06:31

I'm starting in nov if all goes to plan,
im ok on the initial stuff like how to register etc but was wondering more about the practical side, like dealing with the mums, the children i can cope with its the mums that scare me, that sounds abit silly i kno, i had my daughter young and was made to feel like a social outcast by mums at mothers and toddlers and in the play ground at school (my dd is now 5)im 23. i think it doesnt help that i look younger than i am. So now im wondering if mums will treat me the same when im a registered childminder.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks alot x

miamum Tue 22-Mar-05 09:09:46

Kelli - I might get shot down in flames for this but most important thing is how you percieve yourself.
I have a bit of a problem with confidence and self esteem (on the heavy side and had a rough time of things in the past)

If you are able to sound confident and act confident you are there. You know what you are doing - you have been doing it for five years with your own.

Take the opportunity to get advice from here and meet up with other childminders if possible.

Also try and get on free courses and take additional training. I went on a really good one on Saturday all about coping with the relationship with parents. Gives you a good chance to meet other people and renew knowledge.

Sorry i have gone on a bit may change my name soon (too many gloomy threads - but i'll still be here!)

Good luck and all the best

NB Katie mac does give really good and useful advice, same as Bathmummy (apologies to those i have forgotten)

feelingold Tue 22-Mar-05 13:00:49

I am a registered childminder (only been doing it 1 year), and when my first family came to see me i was extremely nervous. Make up a simple portfolio about yourself containing things like your working hours, brief details about you, your husband/kids, what kind of activities you will be doing/places you might go, what kind of facilities you have (toys in garden, craft stuff etc). It doesn't have to be anything fancy, mine is just typed on A4 paper and put into those plastic sleeves and put into a ring binder. You can include leaflets you may have and all of your certificates, you can make it as simple or as comprehensive as you like. I give my portfolio to the parents to read while i make a coffee or get down on the floor to play with the kids. This gives the parents and you some time to relax in each others company and can answer a lot of the questions parents might want to ask (i have found that often the parents are as nervous as i am).
I now look after 3 fantastic kids and i feel that their parents have become friends and we have a chat when they pick the kids up about allsorts of things. I then fill them in about what we have done that day or for the baby i write a brief summery about bottles, nappies and naps etc.
Try to be approachable and confident even if you are not feeling it inside and relax, most parents are just like us, they just want there kids to be happy.

grumpyfrumpy Tue 22-Mar-05 13:41:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kelli22 Tue 22-Mar-05 20:52:25

Thanks for your replies and i will def do a portfolio of ideas or fee's etc, i don't know why im so nervous as i've already got my 1st child coming in Nov (as long as im registered in time) so its not like i will totally be starting from scratch (she's my neice) and she's a wonderful child and gets on well with my dd (which will help with my dd - having a baby bro/sis and then another child in the house when shes used to being on her own is a big change for her) incase thats confusing im 14wks pregnant.
i think the courses sound like a good idea, im doing a computer course at the moment and ill be starting my ICP before that ends so ill need to finish those first
Speaking of the ICP can anyone tell me exactly what you learnt from doing it?

Thanks

KatieMac Tue 22-Mar-05 21:06:51

My ICP had info about running a C/Ming business, things like administering medication, applying suncream, dropping & collecting children, Child Protection, the legal rights of the child and loads more that I can't just think of.

eg my assistant was astounded that I couldn't just give a child some of my DD's calpol - that it had to be provided by the parents in a named bottle and signed for on each occasion.

Ask any Q's you think of - between us all we'll give a go at answering them and if we can't - Alibibbles can - she's fab and has been C/Ming for ages and is accredited and everything

feelingold Tue 22-Mar-05 22:23:18

ICP course covers the basics of all aspects of childminding from how to run your business eg what paperwork you need to do and how to do it, child protection, activitites, building relationships with parents etc. My teacher is also a childminder herself so she was able to answer lots of questions. She also covered the standards and how to get through your ofsted visit (if you haven't had it yet).
There is also a 1500 word assignment to do at the end of it, but most of what you need to know to do it is in the leaflets you are given or is basic knowledge when you are a mum. Don't be worried about the assignment it's really basic.
I'll be watching this thread if you have any more questions.

kelli22 Wed 23-Mar-05 08:14:30

Thanks again, my head is bursting with questions, im so excited but at the same time so nervous about working for myself.
i gotta leave for work now but ill be on later no doubt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now