Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Grandparents as childminders

(16 Posts)
wobblyknicks Mon 21-Mar-05 15:55:06

Someone told me that from this April grandparents caring for a child in their own home can be classed the same as childminders for the childcare element of WTC - is this true?

uwila Mon 21-Mar-05 16:23:09

Don't they have some kind of "fast track" accredidation for grandparents now? I'm not sure if this is true. But, if it is, I think it's well... I think grannies everywhere are bound to be a tad bit offended (rightly so).

Tinker Mon 21-Mar-05 16:24:33

Don't know the details but suspect you have to actually pay them as well. Doubt many people pay their parents at the same rate they pay childminders.

lunavix Mon 21-Mar-05 16:26:33

Also you can't claim wtc or anything against grandparents.

wobblyknicks Mon 21-Mar-05 19:29:23

uwila - offended, why? Sorry, didn't understand that.

lunavix - that's what I thought and that's what it's been up till now but one of my mum's friends is something to do with Ofsted (don't ask me what!) and said that from this April its changing so you can claim for grandparents in the same way as childminders, as long as they're accredited the same. Just wanted to know whether this was true or a mistake.

JulieF Mon 21-Mar-05 19:52:48

As far as I know its not WTC but the new employer paying up to £50 per week childcare without you paying NI on it that is applicable to grandparents.

I'm in the rather odd situation that my parents are both my employers and my childcare. (Mum & Dad own the business, Mum & I jobshare)

uwila Mon 21-Mar-05 20:15:17

If (and I'm not sure if this is true) grandparents have to go to some remedial training to qualify to look after their own grandchild after having raised one of it's parents, I think they might take offense to the ~(implied) accusation that they are not already qualified to do the job. For example, my husbands mother has raised 8 children and I know for a fact that if some government official said she was less qualified than some 20 year old with a NNEB she would have a few words for that government official. One of my gripes about this scheme is that it puts the choice of who is or isn't qualified to look after my kids in the hands of some goverment sponsored licensing. I am SOOOOOO opposed to anyone but me deciding who may look after my children.

JoolsToo Mon 21-Mar-05 20:26:45

you have a point Uwila - but I think the reason is if they take on any other kids other than their own grandchildren - but I may be talking out of my ar*e!

uwila Mon 21-Mar-05 20:37:41

But then we aren't talking about grantparents. That would be an unlicensed childminder... and they'd be in big trouble. BUT, I should add I don't remember where I heard this bit about licensing grandparent so it may have just been speculation and hence possibbly not true.

wobblyknicks Mon 21-Mar-05 20:42:00

Ah, I see what you mean now uwila, yep it could be a bit offending but in my case I'd prefer it that way, my parents seem to have forgotten everything they knew after 2 kids!! But yep, it seems like the government is insisting on teaching granny to suck eggs.

Thanks JulieF - will have to check it out with the IR I suppose, why do they change these things then make it impossible to find info on it!!

uwila Mon 21-Mar-05 20:57:45

It's a voucher that your employer writes for £50, and makes your salary £50 less. That way neither you nor your employer pays tax on this £50. But, it also means you officially make £2600 less per year than you did before. So benefits go down (albeit a small amount), and I would also expect when you are given a raise it is based on your smaller salary. ALthoug you could save £1040 per year (40% of £2600). Also, it is up to your employer if he/she wants to participate in the sceme.

Mirage Wed 23-Mar-05 07:06:37

As far as I know,the grandparents have to pass an ofsted inspection & be registered,just like any other childminder.I looked into this last year,as my mum is dd's carer whilst I'm out at work.She is a qualified NNEB nursery nurse,but isn't registered,so we can't claim Childcare for her.However,my sister is a qualified nursery nurse too & she is registered,so I can claim for the time dd spends with her,but only in my sisters home,not in mine!Its a rubbish system!

Those voucher things are useless to me,I'm self employed,so can't benefit.It does make me cross that,despite a large proportion of the workers in this country being self employed,we seem to be ignored by the goverment when it comes to these initiatives.But that is another rant entirely!

wobblyknicks Wed 23-Mar-05 07:10:39

Thanks Mirage. I know they'd have to be registered but like you say with your sister, you can only claim for the time in someone else's house, not in the child's own house. But that's what I've been told is changing from April, i just can't find any info to say if that's true or not.

uwila Wed 23-Mar-05 08:51:44

try looking at www.childcarevouchers.co.uk/

uwila Wed 23-Mar-05 10:55:35

Or even http://www.childcareapprovalscheme.co.uk/parents/index.asp

wobblyknicks Wed 23-Mar-05 17:13:58

Thanks uwila - I definitely wouldn't get chilcare vouchers, not popular with employers round here but would be relying on the childcare portion of WTC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now