Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders tell me how much you charge...

(30 Posts)
chipmunkswhereareyou Thu 20-Nov-08 16:15:03

please....and do you differentiate for under and over twos.

And if you do before and after school care and I were to pick ds up at 6pm, how many hours would I be charged for in term time?

Oh and finally, would I get a sibling discount if I had another baby?

mumlove Thu 20-Nov-08 16:21:11

Where abouts are you as different areas charge a different fee, but normally somewhere between £3 - £5 per hr per child.

mumlove Thu 20-Nov-08 16:24:18

I charge £3.50 p/h p/c under 5yrs. Before and after school £5 p/h p/c but if all day in hols £3.50.
No sibling discount.

chipmunkswhereareyou Thu 20-Nov-08 16:24:50

London (unfortunately!)

badgerhead Thu 20-Nov-08 16:48:46

I agree fees do depend on where you live & also on individual childminders scale of fees. Some childminders will do an hourly charge for after school & others do a fixed session fee. Will you be wanting care in the school holidays, as that can affect the fees you are charged as well. If you don't you could be asked to pay a retainer to keep the space(s) open for the term time. Sometimes you get a discount for a sibling but unlikely as you are still taking up one of our limited spaces.
I am in West Sussex and charge £4 per hour for more than 30 hours week & £4.30 for less than 30 hours per week. Plus I have one child before school for 1 hour once a week & charge a fixed fee of £5 for that. My fees are about to be reviewed but I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with regards to raising them or altering to a session fee for before/after schoolers.

chipmunkswhereareyou Thu 20-Nov-08 16:59:56

Wow this is more complicated than I thought.
Not just term-time....holidays too.

elkiedee Thu 20-Nov-08 17:35:22

chipmunks, if you contact the Children's Information Service for a list, you'll get some idea of CM's charges.

I'm in London and my CM charges less than some - £140 for my ds since 10 months for a full week, £30 a day or £5 an hour. She has 3 other mindees from same family, one is full time like ds, the others are £5 an hour before/after school. She does 8 till 6 but other kids are there from 7.30 so have asked her to take ds then a couple of times when I had to be somewhere earlier than normal, but he often starts a little after 8 and we get him before 6 (not that that changes her daily charge, it's so we can see him before and after work).

My 2nd baby will go next year at c 9 months, but I don't expect a sibling discount, tbh her rates are very reasonable already though our finances will be very stretched at that point.

cmx2 Thu 20-Nov-08 17:44:39

i charge as follows....
£4.00ph for 8+ hrs per day
£4.50ph for 5-8hrs per day
£5.00ph for less than 5 hrs per day.

this is for all ages. i dont offer sibling discount and i would offer a term time or holiday only contract with no retainer for the over 5's. but for under 5's its all year round or nothing iyswim because spaces are so limited for the under 5's, that and i dont have over 5's much because before and after school have taken all the work.

i also charge extra for meals and drop off/collection for schools out of my village because i have to use the car so its to cover fuel costs.

oh and im in a village. (about an hour by train away from london)

hth

bigdonna Thu 20-Nov-08 17:46:33

hi i charge £4.00 an hour.if i have two children from same family i charge £6.50.

MisterMaker Thu 20-Nov-08 18:06:52

I charge £4.50 per hour for full and part time hours, £5 for adhoc or 1 day a week. I put my rates up when I had a change over of children last year. With fuel and food costs rising, it was a case of having to charge more. I don't do school runs at the moment, so can't help you there on charges. I'm based in SE London. I haven't had the offer of siblings as yet, but would consider a discount for the family.

dannyb Thu 20-Nov-08 22:10:34

My CM charges me £7 an hour but most families £8 p/h. I pay £250 a month for one day a week.

Mum2Luke Thu 20-Nov-08 23:55:00

I charge :

£40 pw b4 and after school (even if child is in a breakfast club, as they are taking a place)

£3.50 ph part-time
£26.00 per day/ £125.00 per week - 0-3
£23.00 per day/ - 4-5 yrs
sibling discount available.

These prices include snacks and meals. I only ask for a little extra if going on a trip somewhere for pocket money.

I am in Tameside, Greater Manchester.

chipmunkswhereareyou Fri 21-Nov-08 09:09:34

Wow quite a variation - dannyb why is yours so much more or is it for two children - just curious??

susiey Fri 21-Nov-08 09:10:36

I'm in London
I have a 10 month old and have a childminder 2 days a week

I pay £35 per day for 2 full days( till 6ish) hope that helps!

Booh Fri 21-Nov-08 10:06:34

I am in west sussex too, I think in the same town as Badgerhead.

I charge £6 per hour, upto a max of £60 per day. But that does include all organic home cooked food, all fees to toddlers and trips out etc. Oh and I am Ofsted Oustanding.

I have never had anyone disagree with my fees

SammyK Fri 21-Nov-08 10:34:07

I charge £2.65 ph, live in east yorkshire.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 21-Nov-08 12:13:23

big donna - thats a big reduction for siblings

i dont see why cm make a discount as they are still using 2 spaces

chipmunkswhereareyou Fri 21-Nov-08 12:28:59

Wow Sammy I wish I lived in Yorkshire!

Thanks everyone - sounds like the price I was quoted was about right for London then.

funnypeculiar Fri 21-Nov-08 12:32:34

Surrey/London Borders, & I pay £5.25 p/h; no sibling discount

Carrieeversotired Sun 23-Nov-08 21:02:40

hi,
I currently am a nanny in surrey with my 20mth old and am struggling not to have a nervous breakdown due boss working from home and my lovely boys meltdowns! am thinking of childminding but the rates and paperwork are a worry will the fact im at home and in charge outway the drop in salary and being self employed.I am highly qualified etc and desperately want to care for son full time can anyone tell me if childminding still gives you that quality time with your own kids or will it be just as difficult as it is now xxxxx{sad}

JenniPenni Mon 24-Nov-08 12:12:53

I am in SW London and charge £60 for full-day care (doesn't matter if it's once/thrice a week), but if parents want flexible hours then I charge £7 an hour. This covers all meals and is from 7:30am to 6:30am.

JenniPenni Mon 24-Nov-08 12:15:08

ps: I offer sibling discounts - £50 per day per child (7:30am to 6:30am), which is cheap for my area.

domesticslattern Mon 24-Nov-08 16:30:48

I am in London and pay £50 day, £30 half day for an under-2. (Day is 8-6, DD goes 2 days a week). All the CMs round here quoted either £45 or £50 a day, though I suspect some might have been open to haggling. I don't resent paying it as my CM is fantastic, and for most of the day only has one other child.

The local council says that I should be paying £35 a day, but is sadly sadly behind the times.

chipmunkswhereareyou Mon 24-Nov-08 20:42:02

How does that compare to nurseries in your area jenni.
Seems the going rate in my bit of outer London is about £45 and it's a bit less than a full day at nursery.

Hayley1985 Mon 26-Sep-11 19:27:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now