Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do I need a nanny, a mother's help? Help with definitions required

(6 Posts)
brette Tue 15-Mar-05 23:29:48

Hi,
I will be working mostly from home from next month.
My DS will be 7 months. I was thinking that instead of taking him to somebody, I could ask somebody to come around our flat and keep an eye on him and entertain him while I am working in my office (It sounds very pro, it is not. The reality is a desk tucked in a corner of our small bedroom). Surely this would be a cheap option compared to childminders/creche. Or would it?
This person would be in the flat at the same time as me, doing her thing with the baby, possibly taking him outside. Is that a nanny? What kind of rates would that be? what kind of requirements should I have? Does such a person exist??? Any suggestion welcome.

CountessDracula Tue 15-Mar-05 23:31:08

Mother's help I would say, if you are going to be there.

brette Tue 15-Mar-05 23:33:02

And would a mother's help go outside for a walk with the baby? (said like this, it really sounds like I'm a complete ignorant... which let's face it I am)

starlover Wed 16-Mar-05 10:09:03

brette, I worked as a mother's help for 8 years and I think that's just what you need.

My duties included preparing the children's tea, bathing the babies, a bit of tidying in their rooms and just generally keeping an eye on them.
I was always more than happy to take them out for a walk with the dog, or nip into sainsburys with one or 2 of them (there were 6 so couldn't take them all!!!) etc etc...

Having said that, I am not professionally qualified, and was taken on after I met the mother while selling poppies when I was 16!!!
So I suppose you may find that a "professional" mother's help is different...

brette Wed 16-Mar-05 10:23:41

Thanks Starlover, that's very helpful. You sound exactly like what I need!

mummyof2 Sun 20-Mar-05 21:23:56

Hi brette im a nanny with parental experience of 2 children would you please tell me what area you live in ,thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now