Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What percentage of your income goes on child care?

(7 Posts)
Toothache Tue 15-Mar-05 21:30:48

I'm not interested in making this a thread about who earns what... or who is more privaleged than the other... and I don't care whether you have a nany, au pair, nursery or childminder...

I just wondered what percentage of the lowest earners income in your household (not joint income)is your child care costs?? And at what percentage does it become pointless for that person to work?

DH is the lower earner at the moment and our childcare is about to go up.

Our childcare costs will be nearly 50% of DH's earnings!!!

Is that low/high/normal?

At which point would you just saqy that one of you should give up work and look after the children fulltime?

Just curious...

Xena Tue 15-Mar-05 21:33:15

TBH that sounds fairly normal to me. Could you do without the other 50% if your DH gave up working?

Hulababy Tue 15-Mar-05 21:33:28

There is a thread asking the same as this from not too long ago; got a lot of rplies too. Might be worth a look.

Hulababy Tue 15-Mar-05 21:34:32

This is it

sanchpanch Tue 15-Mar-05 21:39:20

i earn approx, £150.00 working part time in the NHS, i pay £90.00 a week nursery fees, i think i pay more as dd only goes in the morning if she went full time it would be £140.00 a week, I dont earn much and dp is a fireman so doesnt earn a great deal. we just applied for a key worker house but got refused as since the strike firefighters are no longer considered keyworkers, (because they had the guts to stand up to the government, but hey thats another story,

OffendedMumsnetter Tue 15-Mar-05 21:47:35

Thanks Hulababy. Couldn't remember that one!

Xena - It wouldn't be ideal, but If I returned fulltime (only work 29 since returning from Mat leave) and DH gave up work we'd probably only be £200 a month worse off!
But then I enjoy my Wednesday off with the kids (she says chucking enough wine over her neck to cope with tomorrow!!).

OffendedMumsnetter Tue 15-Mar-05 21:48:36

Oops....blown my cover on another thread Forgot to change my name back!! Oh well.. I kinda like this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now