Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder needing advice from other minders please

(13 Posts)
samjandwich Mon 14-Mar-05 11:43:13

Hiya i have been registered as a childminder since september, recently a family rung me up wanted to arrange a interview this went smoothly and the next day we filled in contracts yippee! anyway, I was due to start looking after their 16mth daughter in two days time at 8.00am, at 6.00am they texted my mobile saying she was ill and would not be starting, they did not show up atall that week (contracted to mind three days a week), so i contacted them yesterday asking whether i would be minding fo them the next day and the mum simply said she has a check up and will be bringing her on tuesday, i was not happy that they had not told me earlier, anyway i am now pondering whether to charge them half fee as stated in contract, or to let them off as i have not minded their daughter as yet and would be doing for 30 hours a week. What do you think?

TracyK Mon 14-Mar-05 11:45:59

If it were me i wouldn't charge them for it as they haven't really started yet - but maybe jokingly let them know that you could have if you had wanted to. Just make sure that they know that you would in the future - otherwise they may take you for granted. altho if they are like me (first time mum) - they may not even realise!

Blu Mon 14-Mar-05 11:49:21

If i was the client and had signed the contract I would expect to have to pay....bad luck for them, but these things happen. Also, hard to enforce, and you may prefer to do them the favour this time. How is she due to pay? By invoice or what? If so, I would itmeiise it, but put 'discretionary waiver of charge' so she knows it' a one off

blodwen Mon 14-Mar-05 14:46:38

I think you are well withing your rights to charge half fee (even that is generous!). If they signed the contract agreeing to half fee for sick days, then they should expect to pay it. They should also have given you more notice of the check up. Would they even have told you if you hadn't phoned them? Best to start out as you mean to go on IMO. If you don't feel able to do this, then the discretionary waiver is a good idea though.

KatieMac Mon 14-Mar-05 16:35:02

Also are you happy being paid at the end of the week/month?

I'm paid up front especially if it's a new contract - I sometimes take a larger sum - so I'll be OK if they change their mind

I would charge half - as it's in the contract

samjandwich Mon 14-Mar-05 16:47:46

Thankyou all for your advice I really appreciate it and i know where to come in future . The arrange was set up a couple of days before I was due to start and i was going to ask for two weeks payment at the end of the week so that we would be a week in advance from there on, I am going to charge them half fee as i have turned other families away and also due to the short notice of starting minding and i will also ask them politely to give me more notice of appts in future

blodwen Mon 14-Mar-05 16:58:08

Well done Samjandwich!.
Good luck with it all. Let us know what happens!

Xena Mon 14-Mar-05 18:57:58

Well done SJ. Parents should realise what a valuable service you are providing and treat you well. On my contract it states that the first weeks/months money is due on signing.

samjandwich Mon 14-Mar-05 19:14:13

thanks blodwen and xena i will keep you posted, and in future I will take your advice on getting a payment on signing the contract.I have made up an invoice and wrote a letter to go with it for the parents explaining things, as the the childs grandmother is to drop off and collect, this also will make it easier for me not having to explain vocally lol

samjandwich Wed 16-Mar-05 22:00:22

Just a update - i have charged half fee and recieved it today, i also have received for next week too so i am now a week in advance , also i had a quick word with them regarding giving me notice for appts etc, they were absolutely lovely and understanding, thanks again for advice and i will definately be visiting this site every day i am on

sam xx

Xena Wed 16-Mar-05 22:08:22

Well done hope it all goes well

KatieMac Wed 16-Mar-05 22:14:27

I'm glad it worked out

blodwen Wed 16-Mar-05 22:38:12

That's great. Good for you. They probably just didn't realise, but now they know. It might just be the start of a long and happy relationship!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now