Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

bloody bloody eyfs

(39 Posts)
Illhavethisinsize12 Wed 05-Nov-08 20:30:28

is there anywhere i can get eyfs tick charts??why cant someone sell a book of example observations. i could cry this is really doning my head in.

NumberFour Wed 05-Nov-08 20:34:10

what about QED and the tracker books?

Illhavethisinsize12 Wed 05-Nov-08 20:36:27

oooh. will have a look

PinkChick Wed 05-Nov-08 20:38:34

what a fab idea, if you find one let me know!...i do have some fab risk assesment blank copies (outings/pblic transport/my car/garden etc) that i could email you..we're doing lots of work shops at min and im told not many councils provide these, so ive prob got a lot that most havent, so f i can help..i willsmile!

NumberFour Wed 05-Nov-08 20:41:11

pinkchick, please please can I have copies of the risk assessments????
Will be EVER so grateful.

looneytune Wed 05-Nov-08 20:46:46

Me too email is info at helenslittleangels dot co dot uk

x

Illhavethisinsize12 Wed 05-Nov-08 20:47:32

thanks can you send to j.johnson699@btinternet.com
qed books do the trackers have just ordered some.

Shoshe Wed 05-Nov-08 20:47:57

If its any concellation 4, I get in a tizz with it all.

I know how to do a observation, (we all do them all day long fgs) but how to actually write them down is a different matter.

I have written them all down in a A4 book for each child, but then linking them to EYFS is confusing me.

PinkChick Wed 05-Nov-08 20:48:36

yep, will scan them in morn before work (got loads) and email them over,a cually seeing as tho it just seems to be this area doing these work shops, i might start athread offering my handouts..we get loads of freebies, books, toys, folders packed with info too!

number 4 let me know you email, ill get them too you as well.

PinkChick Wed 05-Nov-08 20:49:45

Shsohe, you ahve helped me out so often before, i have obs sheets too which i think are fab, will get them to you once scanned tomorrowsmile.x

NumberFour Wed 05-Nov-08 20:52:16

Shoshe, same here re making the obs. I am in Surrey and we have been given Learning Journey packs that set out the EYFS components and more, but I still have not been able to sit down to link the obs with the components.

Pinkchick, what area are you in?

email: judithmarypeck at hotmail dot com

Illhavethisinsize12 Wed 05-Nov-08 20:55:03

thats it really, we do it everyday and i tell my parents everything but actually writing it all down and then linking it fgs is really just mind bogoling. fine if you are very academic, im not thick, but this is too much. thanks for any help.

AbbaFan Wed 05-Nov-08 21:00:54

I think there is a tick sheet on the EYFS cd-rom.

saz73 Thu 06-Nov-08 06:37:23

Any help would be much appreciated. sjemartin at aol dot com
thanks

Littlefish Thu 06-Nov-08 07:04:09

If you can't find one, I've got one that I made for my previous job (Full day care nursery).

It's got all the statements from 0-5 with space for each one to be ticked 3 times. No room for comments however, as we used to keep a learning journey book for each child where the evidence was kept. The tick sheet was just that. Somewhere to record coverage and attainment. The children took their learning journeys when they left, but we kept the tick sheet as evidence for Ofsted.

NumberFour Thu 06-Nov-08 07:16:49

Lovely idea to keep tick list for Ofsted, Littlefish.
Might use that idea too. Thanks

eleanorsmum Thu 06-Nov-08 08:26:33

could i have a copy too please!
keri dot bradley at tiscali dot co uk
ta grin

PinkChick Thu 06-Nov-08 09:29:19

Hi girls, just scanning!

Number4, im in Cleveland(NE England)

Illhavethisinsize12 Thu 06-Nov-08 10:17:48

littlefish, could i have a copy please. j.johnson699@btinternet.com
thanks very much

coolj Thu 06-Nov-08 10:30:00

Hi Pink Ive answered other thread grin

PinkChick Thu 06-Nov-08 10:37:00

got it chick, will resend you these ones tonight with the rest once ive scanned them as little hampster in computer is shatterd sending all those docs at once LOL

tulip31 Thu 06-Nov-08 12:29:42

Pink,

Please could I have a copy as well. tanya at tanyastots dot co dot uk

Many Thanks in advance

MrsPuddleduck Thu 06-Nov-08 12:52:37

What are QED and Tracker books????

I am newly registered and whilst I feel pretty OK with my policies and risk assessments I am REALLY struggling with planning and observations - I need all the help I can get.

NumberFour Thu 06-Nov-08 13:07:54

QED is the name of publishers that do amongst other things, Early Years stuff.

Tracker books are books with tick lists in them that help childcare providers keep a list of the child's developments. QED does lots of other stuff too.

If you do an online search you should find it. I would give you a link but I don't know how to do that yet!

Tracker books can be useful but they are not the be all and end all. I have had mine for yonks and have yet to use it!

They are NOT essential and you would not be underperforming in any way or doing any disservice to your kids if you did not use them. smile

ayla99 Thu 06-Nov-08 13:46:12

Just a word of warning if using ticklists - I've heard a lot of negative comments about them, ALLEGEDLY Ofsted don't like them. But there's nothing in EYFS that specifies what form your records should take, so I personally don't think there's anything wrong with ticklists as long just as they are not your only form of record-keeping. I recommend supporting any ticklists you use with lots of photos and some short sentences explaining what the child is doing. I'm thinking a list of ticks probably isn't considered evidence from Ofsted's pov, (in the same way a tick-list risk assessment is no use to Ofsted without adding comments & dates changes have been made etc), whereas photos and written comments, however short, about what the child is doing are clear evidence.

I've found the easiest way to record obs is to look at what I would have written for my old daily diary - G fastened her coat zip all by herself today :-)

Just need to add - PSE - Self Care

And ta-da, you then have a simple observation with a link to EYFS. You don't need pages of noting down every word and action you see, like you have to do for assignments in various courses.

Also recommended is to note "next steps", which for above example could be:

- to continue to encourage G to dress independently
- to enable G to practice with a range of fastenings by providing (list your resources eg, dressing up doll, shoe lace tying toys etc)
or just a list of relevant activities & resources.

Bromley CMA have some useful booklets - one for observations (where you put the date, what you saw, how it links to EYFS and next steps) and a planning book where you can write down the activities you've offered and where you got the idea from (ie link back to your previous obs).

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now