Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Car Insurance for Au Pair

(20 Posts)
Millarkie Sun 02-Nov-08 17:18:43

I know I've seen some recommendations for AP car insurance but can't find the threads - so since I've just had a quote of £1700 from my normal insurer - can anyone point me in the right direction.
(Might have to turn down my front-runner who is only 19 and go with a 23 yr old who I get mild dementor vibes from - save me!)

DadInsteadofMum Sun 02-Nov-08 22:00:24

Its just a matter of doing the normal price comparison thing and seeing who comes up cheapest, for my AP (20yo) and myself on a 3 year old Fiesta it is about £600, so that might act as a bit of a guide.

Simply Sun 02-Nov-08 22:07:26

try this thread

and this one looks good

and maybe this one

Hth. smile

Millarkie Sun 02-Nov-08 22:12:12

Thanks DIOM, I did a tescocompare thing today and NO companies would quote!! I am not that high a risk but it might be because I drive a 1.9l Multipla... Current au pair doubled my premium from £300 to £600 which was feasible....£1700 is crazy I don't need an AP who drives (kids get picked up and dropped off by school bus) but I think it will help them get out of the village and keep sane! Having said that current au pair only really uses it once a week to go to english class - could pay for a taxi if that was all.

Have had discussions with dh about whether it might be worth getting a low insurance type car specifically for AP use...we have always intended on replacing his car with a tiny thing once his dies - then he can drive the Multipla and I/AP can have the cheap one.

Or I'll have to either take on the 23yr old French woman, or start recruiting from scratch...ho hum

Millarkie Sun 02-Nov-08 22:19:37

Thanks Simply - that middle thread is the one I was trying to find.
I bow down to your superior searching style!

Simply Sun 02-Nov-08 22:25:25

Oh no, please don't! I just had MN open on two windows, searched on one window using the relevant topic and dates of the last few weeks and then copied and pasted into my post on the other window. I am the least techy person I know as my kids, dh and work colleagues will testify! Besides, our I.T. bloke is dishy and nice and is happy to help whenever I can't do something so there's just no incentive for me to learn!

Millarkie Sun 02-Nov-08 22:27:55

I have no incentive to learn techyness either - am married to a tech who writes processor code (or something that's inside the gubbins in the 'puter!)

FourArms Mon 03-Nov-08 07:06:49

I got a fantastic quote from Tesco value insurance the other day. The link is the second bit down on this page. My current company had refused insurance (to add my 19 yr old sister onto the policy), the best quote the AA could get was £3K+ and Tesco came up with a very reasonable £400! shock

ingles2 Mon 03-Nov-08 09:20:11

I've always had AP drivers and went through the AA to get the cheapest insurance. It is expensive though and over the years AP's have had 3 accidents (more than bumps).
If you must have a driver I recommend an AP from the old EU countries, over 20 and have been driving for at least 3 years.

DadInsteadofMum Mon 03-Nov-08 12:11:03

I don't understand how insurance premiums are calclated, I switched from a 23 yo French AP to a 20 yo Dutch AP and the premiums went dwo by 20%.

mummypoppins Mon 03-Nov-08 17:20:22

Ring Tescos direct...they will quote. Au Pairs are officially students

ingles2 Mon 03-Nov-08 17:51:16

I think you'll find that if they are driving your children it's classified as business use.

Millarkie Mon 03-Nov-08 19:48:51

Well, I've just rung my normal insurer and got a quote of £800 for new au pair (so £200 more than current one) which I can cope with. No explanation as to why their website quoted me £1700 though.
If I get time I will try tesco direct (although they refused to quote on the website) - Dh is still trying to persuade me that it would be better to buy a Ka for AP use...but I'm not convinced any car would be cheap to insure for a 19 year old.

Millarkie Mon 03-Nov-08 19:50:38

Ingles - my nanny and my au pair have been on my car insurance and both (according to my car insurer because I triple checked) were SDandP (and commuting because I occasionally use the car to drive to the station in the rain) - but not business! I was very surprised

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 03-Nov-08 20:07:05

We have an 8 year old 306 and were paying about £200 3rd party fire and theft. Au pair has added £400 to this (and when we have changed au pairs we've (1) had a refund of £50 and (2) had to pay an extra £50 ??? All 2 APs so far have been French and 19. It is our only car, but she isn't main driver.

Car is on the way out and so I investigated cost for newish Scenic...obviously would have to have fully comp...would be about £1000. That is with Diamond.

ingles2 Mon 03-Nov-08 20:22:20

defo Millarkie...have just checked the old policy. It states her as business. I was probably too blunt about what she was driving for blush

DadInsteadofMum Mon 03-Nov-08 21:02:46

When I discussed this with insurer AP was a member of household so counted as SD&P

Millarkie Mon 03-Nov-08 21:03:47

How strange Ingles - I really tried to get my nanny on as business (I was more worried about having valid insurance than the price) and told them she might drive my children to their swimming lessons etc and was told that it was 'social'..
maybe I should check again for the au pair insurance.
Dh still insisting that I'll be kicking myself when AP writes off my multipla and I'll wish I bought her a Ka... but current AP hasn't crashed it...yet. (Millarkie whistles and tries to ignore that current AP avoids driving it at all and cadges lifts with friends instead)

Millarkie Mon 03-Nov-08 21:05:07

DIOM - glad I'm not the only one with a SDand P policy.

DadInsteadofMum Mon 03-Nov-08 21:12:27

APs are expensive on tyres (keep clipping the kerbs) but not yet had anything more.

[Rushes of to find an incredibly large lump of wood to touch.]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now