Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - Please help with EYFS ratios

(7 Posts)
SillyMillysMummy Sun 02-Nov-08 13:31:12

I am newly registered and the ratios have me stumped. my reg cert says 5 under 8's and 2 in early years age group. My dd is 3 and in preschool. SOme one please tell me in straight laguage how many i can have.

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-08 13:33:25

I think you can have 2 minded children under 5 and 3 minded children between 5yrs & 8yrs

ayla99 Mon 03-Nov-08 18:48:53

I agree with Katy but it reads as though you can have 7 under 8s as well as your own child ie, 5 age under eight AND 2 in early years.

But unless you work with another childminder/assistant the maximum is 6 under eights so it should read 5 under 8's, OF THESE no more than 2 in the early years age group. Also if you work alone it normally says only 2 under ones (unless you care for twins or other special arrangement).

Early Years age group is from birth to 31 August after 5th birthday. But for child ratios Ofsted have said we can still count children attending full time school as over 5s.

Suggest you email Ofsted to ask them to confirm - print out their email for your records.

KatyMac Mon 03-Nov-08 20:30:56

EYFS certs are different I guess <confused>

SillyMillysMummy Mon 03-Nov-08 21:28:31

ok, have had it confirmed by email katymc was right grin

The Early Years Foundation Stage ratio requirements for childminders state:

'where four- and five-year-old children only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, they may be classed as children over the age of five for the purposes of the adult:child ratio'

After consultation our Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF) colleagues have confirmed that their intention was to maintain the status quo. Therefore, despite the wording in the statutory framework of 'before and after a normal school day', we will interpret this requirement in line with DCSF policy intentions.

Where children aged four and five are in full time education (attending ten education sessions per week) they can be counted as over the age of five, for the purposes of the adult:child ratio only. This still applies during weekends and school holidays.

It is important to note you must still deliver the EYFS to rising fives. In addition you must still register on the Early Years Register if you care for children between the ages of birth and the 31st of August following their fifth birthday unless you are exempt from compulsory registration, even if all these children are rising fives.

To be classed as rising fives children must attend 10 sessions of education a week. During any school half-term holiday periods, any children aged 4 who attend school full time will also be classed as a rising five.

KatyMac Mon 03-Nov-08 21:29:56

blush

But you said it so much better

SillyMillysMummy Mon 03-Nov-08 21:42:44

shock that was the email wording not mine lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now