Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is my DS the only boy who'd rather read/build lego/play chess than do sport sport sport?

(7 Posts)
justagirlfromedgware Sun 02-Nov-08 10:32:49

Ok, this is my first go at starting a thread, so please bear with me as this is a bit long. My DS is in Y6 and I'm fretting what to do about childcare in the hols (I work full time, but work from home twice a week + have parents to help during school-time). Until now he's gone to 'Art Fun' activities but now he's rising 11 the only options seem to be sport or football or more sport - and although he tolerates games (better than me, I loathe sport!) he doesn't want to spend up to a whole week at a sport camp. How do I find alternatives? He loves science, natural history, chess, maths. Is there such a thing as a science camp? I've posted on my local Mumsnet list (and no reply so far) I've searched online and can only find the sort of stuff where adults must accompany (and we of course do that when we're off work with him). Can anyone advise? thanks!

mumnosbest Sun 02-Nov-08 11:06:15

No advice sorry but can imagine myself in your shoes in years to come. My ds would much rather be painting, playing lego or reading spedey magazines too

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 02-Nov-08 11:20:27

barracudas are good - they do active and as well more gentle stuff and each session gives a choice of an activity

timetable

ThePrisoner Sun 02-Nov-08 12:13:19

I've actually childminded schoolchildren (both girls and boys) whose parents struggled to find holiday care which wasn't sporty, or whose children didn't really like being a huge group of children.

Kbear Sun 02-Nov-08 12:26:29

I have a DS who is the same - he's only 7 though. His mates talk football all the time and he tries to be interested but just isn't. He can tell you the feeding habits of killer whales though or who drove the Apollo 11 landing craft.... which will come in handy one day!

We spent last Monday at the Science Museum and he was in his element.

Will be watching this thread!

southeastalien Sun 02-Nov-08 12:28:56

playschemes are changing now, they have to provide lots and lots of free choice, rather than just arts/sports etc. but they generally only go up to age 11.

he may like mad science but i can only find them in hitchin and harpended atm and he may to too old for those ones.

our local council do youth activities but granted theses are mostly sports based.

justagirlfromedgware Sun 02-Nov-08 13:55:35

Thanks for all the messages so far - and the support from all of you is so appreciated.

I hadn't thought of childminders, so I'll look into that, but my DS will think that's for little ones - how common is it for older children to attend?

BTW I've tracked down a science camp site based in Harrow - Mother Nature www.mnature.co.uk/ - does anyone know it?

Lastly, Kbear, that sounds like my DS to a T! If you want to swap ideas on books, websites etc., let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now