Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice about getting references

(4 Posts)
TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 31-Oct-08 12:14:49

I need to call up a few referees for our potential new nanny. What questions would you ask?

Apologies if this seems a bit dim. Am suffering from extreme back pain and need some extra brain power to get me through this so that she can get started asap!!

Ebb Fri 31-Oct-08 13:51:33

Check dates are correct and get a brief job description from the employers.

Time keeping/attendance record/sick days etc

How does she relate to the children? Initiative? Activities? Discipline? Cooking skills? Does she genuinely like children?

Why is she leaving? Would you employ her again? Why/why not?

If you had to give a negative point, what would it be?

If live in - what was she like to live with?

If there is anything that particularly bothers you .ie. Time keeping or tidiness are ultra important to you, check that.

Flexability?

Just remember to go with with your gut instinct when checking references. It's often what's NOT said that can be the crunch! Also if your Nanny is leaving a job and the employers don't want her to go or they parted on less than perfect terms then that may affect what previous employers say. I've had people check my references and ask if I had boyfriends just to check I wasn't a lesbian. hmmI'm not by the way!

I'm sure there's plenty more to ask but these should get you started. Hope your Nanny works out.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 31-Oct-08 15:20:45

Thanks Ebb. That's really helpful

Can't believe people give a fig about an employee's sexuality though hmm.

Ebb Fri 31-Oct-08 18:05:29

Oh I got the job with that one but let's just say she was rather challenging - lovely but challenging!!! She was obsessed about lesbians though! It was quite strange and was completely convinced her stepson was gay. hmm Bless her! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now